Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Guinness Beef Stew


Pin It Now!

guinness stew

I’m not really a meat eater. Ever since I was a little girl the texture of meat, both beef and chicken, has grossed me out. The thought of biting into and consuming a muscle is sometimes just too much for me. To this day I still will not touch raw meat with my bare hands. I either use tongs or, if there is no way around touching the meat, I wear some of my lab gloves to handle the raw meat. However, meat is full of protein and minerals, so I do try to eat it on occasion. I usually crave red meat about once every 3-4 months. I figure my body is crying out for a boost of iron. Well, yesterday was one of those days. But I haven’t been feeling well, so I wanted an easy meal that would require little to no prep work nor be too involved. I bought some ingredients that I thought would make a simple, tasty stew. I tend to cook more by ratios rather than by exact amounts, so I can’t really say for sure what amounts I used. But the end result was so good, exactly what I wanted. I get my meat from Whole Foods; at their meat counter they have lean stew beef that is already chopped so all I have to do it put the meat in the pot (carefully avoiding actually touching the meat, of course). Perfect. I wanted pearl onions so that I could just dump them in the pot, but they were out of them at Whole Foods. Instead, I bought a container of shallots that were already peeled, since I was feeling too lazy to peel my own. I love a dinner that just requires dumping everything in a pot and walking away.



Guinness Beef Stew
Printer-friendly version
Serves 4

2 lbs chopped lean stew meat
1 can/bottle Guinness
5-6 shallots, peeled (pearl onions would be good, too)
5 yukon gold potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
Half a 16 oz bag of baby carrots
Your favorite seasonings, to taste:
dried thyme leaves
dried rubbed sage
dried marjoram
worcestershire sauce
sherry cooking wine
flour, to achieve desired thickness

Put everything in a crockpot and cook on low for several hours. I cooked mine for 6 hours and every couple hours would check the seasonings and give it a gentle stir. I like my stew thick, so I would toss in a bit of flour each time I stirred as well. Also, I didn’t cut the shallots up, I just added them whole and they melted down and were delicious.


Pin It Now!

 

Copyright© 2010-2017 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.