Monday, January 11, 2010

"Clean" Carrot Cake


Pin It Now!

Photobucket


I love having a small dessert to finish off dinner. I try to have always have something sweet on hand. This weekend I decided to try out a recipe I have been wanting to try, but just haven't gotten around to making it. I modified the recipe to fit our tastes. It turned out pretty well. I still might play around with oven temperature/cooking time. But I'm satisfied with how this batch turned out.



“Clean” Carrot Cake
Printer-friendly version

Olive oil cooking spray
1 ¼ c white whole wheat flour
1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp sea salt
½ c golden raisins
1 large egg white
1 tsp flaxseed, ground, mixed with 2 tsp water
½ c honey
1/3 c unsweetened applesauce
¼ c buttermilk or low-fat plain yogurt (I used greek yogurt)
2 Tbl olive oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
4 oz carrots, peeled and finely shredded (about ½ c packed)

Place flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in bowl; whisk lightly to combine.Stir in raisins.

In separate bowl, combine egg white and flaxseed/water mixture, whisk until bubbles form. Add honey, applesauce, buttermilk (or yogurt), olive oil, and vanilla, whisk until well blended. Stir in dry ingredients until just mixed.

Fold in shredded carrots. Pour into baking pan sprayed with olive oil spray.

The recipe called for cooking in a slow cooker, but I didn’t want to deal with that. Instead, I used this Le Creuset rectangular pan, sprayed with olive oil cooking spray and baked at 350 F for about 20 minutes, til inserted knife came out clean.

I used my oven’s convection fan and checked after 15 minutes. The top was golden brown, but the inside wasn’t set. So I turned off the convection fan and kept an eye on it, checking it about every 5 mintues. Next time I think I will use a mini muffin pan.

After it has cooled, top with cream cheese honey drizzle (below). The recipe calls for serving the cake in 10 equal (3 oz) portions. I just cut mine into small squares.

Cream Cheese Honey Drizzle

¼ c low-fat cream cheese
1 Tbl honey (I used agave)
1 lemon, zested and juiced, divided (I used a clementine because I thought orange would pair nicely with the carrot cake)

Microwave cream cheese 10-15 seconds until softened. I just added a bit of agave, a bit of zest, and a bit of juice, stirred and tasted. I kept adding more agave, zest, and juice until I was satisfied with the taste.

Then, I added a little bit of water and stirred until it was a good drizzling consistency.

I cut into small slices and before serving drizzled the cream cheese mixture over each slice.

I kept the leftover cake in an airtight container and the cream cheese drizzle in the refrigerator. I set the cream cheese out to warm up a bit before drizzling leftover pieces.




Source: Clean Eating Magazine Nov/Dec 2009


Pin It Now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This Carrot cake was very delicious. I loved it! and will be making it again. Thanks for the recipe. I did end up turning the oven down to 300 half way though, it was browning very fast. I like your idea of muffins too! I wasn't a fan of the drizzle though. Instead I used cream cheese, vanilla, little bit of milk and fine granulated sugar cane.

Thanks again

surlykitchen said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

so glad you liked it! i love "healty" desserts. i agree sugar would make a better glaze.

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2017 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.