Friday, June 3, 2011

Entering New Terriotry


Pin It Now!

Sorry, no food post this week. I had doctor appointments everyday this week, so there was no time for me to do anything since I spent most of my time in the hospital waiting room.

Yesterday, I met with the famous GI doctor (the top in the US). He brought his entourage with him: a guy from England, who was a behavioral psychologist, a woman who specialized in something relating to the GI tract, another woman, I forget what she did, a medical student from UNC and my regular GI doctor. I sat in chair, surrounded by all these experts in their fields, while the famous GI doctor questioned me about my symptoms, medical history, etc. Every once in awhile one of the others would ask a question. Then they examined my stomach, explaining to the medical student each step. Then, they left me in the examination room to go have a mini conference (it was at least a good 30 minutes).



And the answer they come up with is more drugs. They couldn't tell me what had caused the pain, or how to eliminate it, just how to manage my pain while they continue testing me. I did not get the quick fix I had hoped for. They say it could take up to 2 years before they find the cause. But at least they haven't given up on me. I am so incredibly lucky I have a doctor who does not dismiss me but is committed to helping me.

Sorry about that rant. I do not want this blog to be about my problems/issues; i want it to be positive, not woe-is-me. That's why I focus on the food instead of my illness. But I know I can't be the only one out there like this. Others have to have the same symptoms, maybe they just haven't found the right doctor to properly diagnose them.

Wow, I really did digress from the purpose of this post. I'm extremely out of it, drugged up, trying to focus and sound coherent; I hope I succeed.

I have decided to (temporarily) enter the world of scrapbooking. I want to make a simple, elegant scrapbook of my wedding. Problem is I don't know the first thing about scrapbooking. I've bought the book, all kinds of different patterned and plain cardstock. Borders for pictures, rhinestones, etc. But I don't know where to start. Do I plan the thing page by page as I go along? Or do I plan the whole think out before I start? I like adding the ribbons, stickers, etc, but I don't want to add too much that it clutters the page.

So if you have any tips/websites, etc to help me get started, please let me know. I'm a novice, and a drugged up one at that. I need help and advice.

Hopefully, next week I'll be back to my usual optimistic self, with some tasty recipes.


Pin It Now!

6 comments:

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i usually figure it out page by page. or do two opposing pages together. i do my picture layout first, then add accents and borders wherever they fit! have fun!!!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Start by laying out the photos on the page, then add the decorative stuff as the creative spirit leads. She's in there, you just have to let her out! Play your favorite music (try Pandora) while you work on it, and just have fun!

Wanna Be A Country Cleaver said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You are a rockstar. I love scrapbooking, so I can't wait to see what you come up with. I invested in a Cricut - but those can be pretty cost prohibitive if you're not careful. (I bought mine at Walmart - despite that I HATE that store...it really was the best deal)

Me and my bestie, Beka, were discussing the ups and downs of people with health troubles - she being a 25 year old chick with Krohn's and Alopecia. And she said the same thing, you have your bad days with nothing but ranting, but what else can you do but stay positive. I've got a completely effed back, so physically I'm very limited in my activities anymore. We all got our issues but we can lean on each other together! -

Solidarity in pain, sister! :)

You're going to get through this - and there are a lot of people (like me) cheering you on!!

Wanna Be A Country Cleaver said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh - and PS - With the Bake-Even Strips from Wilton, they are sold separately from pans. They come in a two or four pack. :) Hope that helps! ~Megan

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i am so proud of how optimistic you have been... i have followed this blog for a while and have been amazed at how strong you are.

You're going to get through this - and if at any point you need anything or doubt that this is coming to an end, know that you have a bunch of blogger buddies rooting you on!

Kvetchin' Kitchen said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Stay strong, girl! Your posts are so inspiring, and you do stay strong through all this - and every once in a while it's okay to have a little rant to get it out of your system!

I have Crohn's disease, IBD, and Alopecia - and before they sent me a GI, I had 2 ER visits, and 3 or 4 prescriptions ranging from pain killers to antacids (because I had heart burn and some crazy-pain). It took me a while before I found a supportive doctor and it's great that you have a whole team!

I know Crohn's isn't the same, but I've had the same struggles with diagnosis, disease control, and drug maintenance. You can rock this!!

Also - I have some good scrapbooking intentions, as well! It's something I can do for short bursts of time while feeling sick because it's engaging but not active. The best way to learn is just to sit down and find out what you like on a page! I flip through magazines from time-to-time, but they don't usually inspire me... Good luck!

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2017 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.