Sunday, December 4, 2011

Phoenix Rising


Pin It Now!

phnx2

One the fourth day of Christmas my bartender made for me a phenomenal Phoenix Rising Cocktail...


This drink calls for using Angostura bitters. Not being a bartender, I had no idea what bitters were. According to Angostura's website, bitters are “a unique blend of natural herbs and spices which is used to flavor a wide variety of food and drinks."

We debated using it, not sure how easy it would be to find, but we found it at the liquor store for only $7. It was in the same aisle as grenadine, right above the vermouth. It's a little bigger than a mini sized liquor bottle. There were about 4 different kinds of bitters. It was also in the wine/beer section of the grocery store. You only use a dash of it, so we had plenty left over. On the website they have recipes for food that call for a dash of the bitters; I'm curious about what it would taste like in food.

I really liked this drink, as you can see by the lower volume; it was kinda tropical tasting. I kept sipping it while my mother-in-law set up the props and it looks like I sipped a bit too much--oops.



Phoenix Rising
Printer-friendly recipe
Serves 1

2 oz vodka
1 oz pineapple juice
2 oz ginger ale
Dash of bitters
Lemon oil from 2 large lemon peel strips

Shake ingredients with lemon peels. Pour into ice filled rocks glass.




Need other drinks that use bitters? Try these:
Blarney Stone
Champagne Cocktails
Death in the Gulf Stream Cocktail
Paddy Wagon
Sufferin' Bastard



surly kitchen

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2017 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.