Tuesday, March 6, 2012

2012 Spring Shoe Pick


Pin It Now!

TOMS1a


It's finally almost spring! Not that our winter down here was very cold, but the mornings were cold, and I did need to pull out my Uggs often. Now that the temps are warming up, I decided I needed a new pair of shoes. I can't keep wearing these everyday:


I wear the shoes above about 99% of the time. They are so comfortable, it feels like I'm walking around in my slippers. But, I find it's getting a bit too warm for these to be everyday wear shoes. And it's definitely to warm for these guys:



I guess I should explain my obsession with comfortable shoes.



Back in 2007 I was in an accident that lacerated part of my peroneal nerve on the outer side of my left knee. It completely lacerated a branch of the peroneal nerve along with my left calf muscle. I was "lucky" that the damage was to the motor units in my leg and foot muscles, not sensation. I had a wonderful orthopaedist (one of the top 5 doctors in the country in his field) who monitored my recovery. I started out not being able to move my foot at all, a condition called "foot drop" and got to wear this awesome plastic "boot" that went up to my knee. I'm sure most people have seen these "walking aircasts." I was told to wait 18 months for the nerve to grow and take a vitamin B complex supplement, which facilitates nerve function.

As the 18 months went on we discovered my nerve was growing up into the skin, not down to the ankle. I was giving all kinds of options to try to "fix" the problem and pain. After 2 years, my doctor told me my leg was as healed as it would ever be. I still suffer physical symptoms from this injury. I have can't move my toes, except the big one, have trouble moving my foot side-to-side and up. I am not able to work out (I have doctor's orders not to) so I don't have to feel guilty. Cold and rain (barometric pressure) affect my leg. I can tell you 2 days before it's going to rain because of the pain in my leg. If my ankle and foot start to ache, we're in for a torrential downpour. Flying is painful because of the change in air pressure. The circulation is affected as well, and if I do a lot of walking (say a trip to Target) by the end my leg is throbbing and my foot and ankle starting to swell. I have lived with this pain for so long, I have learned to adapt to it and know my limitations.

(Wow, I'm so sorry about that word vomit above, pretty boring and uninteresting).

Anyway, back to shoes, which is the purpose of this post. When I buy shoes I have to allow room for my "foot swell." This is the reason I'm more into clothing than shoes. Still, I'm always looking out for comfortable shoes that are cute and stylish.

I think I have found it in my new TOMS shoes.

TOMS2a


I bought mine from Nordstrom, but you could also buy them from TOMS website.

I have only worn them a couple times, but so far so good.

TOMS3a

I will see how it goes with this pair, and if they are as comfy as everyone claims them to be, then I'll probably order more. I love all the different styles, colors, and fabrics they come in.

TOMS4



If you know of a comfy, stylish, spring shoes, leave a link below. My shoe collection is pitifully small.

Pin It Now!

3 comments:

Wanna Be A Country Cleaver said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I have that exact same pair of TOMS and I adore them!! I've never had such an unabashed love for a shoe before, let alone a simple canvas one. Spring shoe, high five! ~Megan

Brigitt said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Haha! I have all the same pairs of shoes that you mentioned in this post. I love my TOMS. I have the black glitter ones too--I call them my "Michael Jackson shoes." As far as the "word vomit," I didn't think so at all. It's all very interesting, and I think it's awesome how strong and adapting you seem to be!

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i have two pair of toms- one of mine look JUST like the ones you got from nordstrom. I LOVE THEM! i literally live in them- They are perfect and so comfortable!

i approve!!

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2017 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.