Thursday, May 3, 2012

She's Crafty


Pin It Now!

umbtrella3

This Saturday has caused a dilemma; it’s both cinco de mayo and the Kentucky Derby. Which event do I choose as my party theme? After deliberating I decided on both.

I’ve decided to serve both margaritas and mint juleps. I’m going to experiment with flavored margaritas in addition to having traditional ones.

To add an element of fun and whimsy I decided to make these umbrella stirrers. I saw them on Martha Stewart’s website. It’s an article from Martha Stewart Living. When I tried to click on the link today I got an error message. Luckily, these are very easy to make.



The few items you’ll need:
14.5 oz can of anything (corn, tomatoes, beans, etc)
Decorative craft scissors
Bamboo skewers
Clear craft glue (or hot glue gun)
Scrapbook/decorative paper


First I gathered some scrapbook paper. Using a 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes I traced around the can on the backside of the paper. Then, using decorative scissors to give the umbrella’s unique edges, I cut out the circle. Then cut a slit in the circle from the outside edge to the middle. Fold into a cone, matching up the umbrella edges. Once it’s your desired cone shape, cut off excess paper on the inside and glue cone (I used clear craft glue).

umbrella1

Once cone is dry, poke a hole in the top by inserting the pointed tip of the skewer up through the cone. Then take the skewer and poke from the outside cone tip down into the cone. Add a blob of craft glue then stick the bamboo skewer up through the cone.

umbrella2


Now all they need to do is dry. I propped my umbrellas up in some of my medication bottles batons.

umbrella drying

Notice how the medication baton is bigger than my glue bottle. I’m not kidding when I talk about all the drugs I take; I spend a little more than $300/month on medication.

When dry, cut skewer to desired height for glass.

The best thing about these are they serve multiple purposes. They identify each person's drink, add a touch of whimsy, and function as a cocktail stirrer. I had a lot of fun making these and I can't wait to break them in on Saturday.

Pin It Now!

4 comments:

All Things Yummy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

oh those are too cute. I'm so not crafty but I think I might be able to make these.

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

too cute!

Brigitt said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These are so cute! I wish I had an occasion to make them for right now!

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i need to make some of these for an engagement or birthday party soon!

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2017 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.