Thursday, July 12, 2012

Vegan Berry Cobbler


Pin It Now!

photo (7)

My wonderful sister has once again rescued me this week with a guest post. I'm still recovering from my minor surgery last Friday. It really made my week horrible. I woke up each morning with puffy lips, it hurt to talk because the knots/stitches rub against my bottom teeth and gums. My energy is so low, I'm barely able to make dinner for Mr.Surly. And I have to rinse my mouth out with this nasty prescription rinse to keep infection from setting in. I can't wait to get the stitches out tomorrow and return to the kitchen to bake up some yummy treats; perhaps even this delectable looking berry cobbler.

There was a special on berries at my grocery store, so I didn’t have to resort using any frozen. The berries this year (especially the strawberries) have been very sweet, which made this cobbler a delectable treat.

This cobbler is nice because it is neither complicated nor time consuming. I did have some problems keeping the whipped “cream” from being too runny, but it did turn out to be a nice dairy-free alternative. We did top some of them with vanilla ice cream (not vegan) and that was good too.



VEGAN BERRY COBBLER
Printer-friendly recipe
Serves 8

What You Need:
For the cobbler:** (see note below)
1-1/3 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 cup almond milk

Berry filling:
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

1 tablespoons sugar to sprinkle on top (**I like to use Turbinado sugar on top)

For the whipped “cream”:
1 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk, chilled* (Put the can in the refrigerator the night before for best results)
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped***
For the whipped cream, place bowl and whisk of a standard mixer in freezer for 30 minutes


What You Do:
*If making the whipped cream – put the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator the night before.

**When I made this recipe, I used the 8 ramekins. I adjusted the cobbler batter because I found the amount listed here wasn’t enough. I used this amount:
2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup + 4 tablespoons almond milk

***Vanilla bean – I also did not purchase and scrape a vanilla bean. I used vanilla extract, about 1 tsp.

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together for the cobbler the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate small bowl, whisk oil and milk, then add to flour mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined, but do not over-mix.

2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the berry filling: sugar, flour, and cinnamon, then add berries. Toss until berries are coated with sugar mixture. Pour berries into a 9-inch baking pan or distribute evenly into 8 ramekins. Using a tablespoon, scoop lumps of dough on top of berries. Brush the top of the dough with extra almond milk and sprinkle liberally with sugar.

3. (side note:) For the whipped cream, place bowl and whisk of a standard mixer in freezer for 30 minutes.

4. Bake the cobbler for 45 minutes or until dough is thoroughly cooked and lightly browned on top. Be sure to rotate after 20 minutes for even baking.

4. Scrape cream from top of coconut milk and discard remaining liquid. In bowl of stand mixer (the same one you put in the freezer), add coconut cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla bean seeds. Beat 1 to 2 minutes until fluffy. Dollop on top of cobbler or refrigerate whipped cream until ready to use.

photo



Source: adapted from a recipe emailed out by Veg News magazine.

Pin It Now!

1 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This is wonderful- a great summer dessert

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.