Thursday, December 4, 2014

Old Fashioned


Pin It Now!

 photo oldfashioned_zps20322681.jpg

Day 4:
As I mentioned previously, my sister-in-law's boyfriend is an amazing bartender. He adds his own special flair to drinks. I consulted them when I was compiling my list of drinks and Derek was generous enough to share some of his recipes with me. This is one of his. I'm sure his garnishes & ingredients are far superior to mine, but I did my best. I realized I made a crucial error when I made this drink. I served it on the rocks when it should be served straight up. Oops. This is what happens with an absent-minded, distracted, & medicated bartender. C’est la vie.

As for the orange bitters, we picked the bottle up at our local liquor store. Some grocery stores also carry them in the mixer aisle.

 photo orangebitters_zps86e83a8c.jpg


Old Fashioned
¼ oz simple syrup*
2 dashes Angostura bitters
2 dashes orange bitters (opt; adds more depth of flavor)
2 oz bourbon
Orange wheel for garnish

Add to stainless steel shaker with ice; stir, strain into rocks glass with ice. Add orange wheel garnish.

*Simple Syrup: Mix equal parts sugar and water. Boil or microwave until sugar is dissolved. Allow to cool before adding to drink.

Source: Derek Brown of the Underground Cocktail Bar

 photo vintagechristmas_zps098ceede.jpg

Vintage Cocktails Recap:
Day 1: Maple Leaf
Day 2: Thomas & Jeremiah
Day 3: French 75

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2017 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.