Thursday, June 18, 2015

Building The Perfect Smoothie


Pin It Now!

surlykitchen.com

Remember when I shared with you that I was starting to make smoothies? I promised some recipes once I perfected them and those are coming. Before I share some of my favorite concoctions I thought I'd pass along a few tips I've learned.

Above is a visual "formula" for my smoothies. I've detailed each "layer" below. Basically, I mix and match what I have (or what is in season)to come up with the daily smoothie. I love this method because I can customize it by making it low-oxalate (which I've been trying to follow recently due to some recurring GI/pain issues).

I'm not a big sweet fan but if you want you can absolutely sweeten with honey or agave.

Let me know what yummy smoothies you make. Stay tuned for some of my favorite smoothie recipes.

Liquids:
Water
Lemon juice
Coconut water
Unsweetened flaked coconut
Dates (for sweetness)

“Watery” and/or “hard” Fruits/Veggies
Cucumber
Watermelon
Pineapple
Grapes
Carrots
Beets (raw or roasted)

"Extras":
Fresh ginger root (~tip of thumb sized)
Hemp seeds/protein
Chia seeds
Rolled oats
MCT oil
Maca root powder
Dried Goji berries
Oat bran
Wheat germ
Spirulina
Turmeric
Cayenne pepper

Leafy greens:
Kale
Spinach
Arugula
Swiss Chard
Water cress
Romaine

“Soft” Fruits/Veggies
Apples
Berries
Avocado
Peaches (and other stone fruits)
Bananas
Grape Tomatoes
Ice (if you like your smoothies cold)

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.