Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Spring Vegetable and Bean Soup


Pin It Now!

Photobucket

This soup was surprisingly flavorful for how simple and easy it was to prepare. The original recipe called for fresh tomatoes, but since it's winter and tomatoes are not in season, I used canned. I also added a potato since I didn't have any cauliflower. I wish I had a sweet potato on hand to use instead of a yukon gold, it would have added a nice color. I would also like to experiment with different vegetables, like butternut squash or acorn squash. You could also use chicken broth instead of the vegetable broth, if desired.



Vegetable and White Bean Soup
Printer-friendly version
Serves 6-8

2 carrots, sliced (I used about 1 c sliced baby carrots)
2 celery stalks, sliced (I used about 1 c )
2 medium onions, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced (I used 4 cloves because I love garlic)
1 ¾ quarts vegetable broth (I used 4 c)
1 can cannellini beans (15 oz), drained
1 can diced tomatoes
2 c broccoli florets (I used a whole head of broccoli)
1 potato, diced
7 c fresh spinach (I didn’t use this much, I had about a cup of spinach and also used some kale leaves)
Sea salt
Pepper
Italian seasonings, to taste
Crushed red pepper, to taste

Add olive oil to pot or dutch oven then sauté carrots, celery, onion, garlic, over medium heat with lid askew until carrots are soft and onion is golden.

Then add broth, beans, can of tomatoes (with juice), broccoli and potato. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are soft.

Add your favorite seasonings. I added sea salt, pepper, Italian seasonings, and crushed red pepper.

Stir in spinach and kale towards the end of cooking, cover and cook about 5 min.

Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and some crusty bread.


Source: adapted from Jamie's Food Revolution by Jamie Oliver

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.