Thursday, February 23, 2012

Yellow Curry Sauce with Chicken


Pin It Now!

ckncurry2


I love spicy food. I love curry. I love Trader Joe's Thai Yellow Curry Bottled sauce. I posted a recipe with it a long time ago, when my blog was new and my photo skills were poor because I was using my trusty canon point&shoot. That post is one of my top 5 most popular posts.

I figured there must be a way to make my own curry sauce so I went about creating one. It was actually pretty easy; it only took a few attempts to perfect. I'm not sure how "authentic" it is but it sure is tasty. It's a great sauce and for vegetarians and vegans, tofu can easily be used instead of chicken, and veggie broth could be used instead of chicken stock.



Yellow Curry Sauce with Chicken
Printer-friendly recipe
Serves 3-4

2-3 cloves garlic
~1 inch (~thumb-sized) piece fresh ginger, peeled
1 shallot or small yellow onion, diced
2 Tbl butter
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 c chicken stock
1 c coconut milk (regular milk works, too)
2 ½ Tbl curry
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
14 oz (~ 5-6 medium) yukon golden potatoes, cubed (Trader Joe’s has a 14 oz bag of small golden potatoes which I used)
2.5 oz (~1/2 c carrots, cut or diced)
1 lime, juiced
2 tsp cornstarch (opt)
2 tsp cold water (opt)
Cooked rice, quinoa, couscous, millet--any grain you want (I used Trader Joe's Brown Rice Medley, which is to-die-for)

Grate the ginger with a microplane or cut into small pieces. Add butter to a skillet and sauté ginger, garlic and onion about 3-5 minutes. Add chicken, salt and pepper.
Cook until chicken is browned on both sides and cooked. Remove to cutting board, cover with tin foil tent to keep warm.

Add chicken stock to skillet to deglaze, scraping up all the browned bit from chicken and shallot. Add milk and spices, stirring constantly. Add potatoes and carrots.

Cut up chicken into chunks; add back to skillet.

Cook, covered, until potatoes and carrots are tender and chicken is cooked through.

Squeeze in lime juice.

At this point your done if you like thin, soupy curry sauce. I like mine a little thicker, so I add a slurry (2 tsp cornstarch+ 2 tsp cold water mixed together, then added to skillet).

Pour over rice, couscous, quinoa, or any grain you want.

I used scallions as garnish, but cilantro would also be great.

Pin It Now!

5 comments:

Brigitt said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This is actually very similar to how we make curried chicken at school! The only real difference is that we "toast" a little bit of curry paste after browning the onions, garlic, and ginger and, when we add the coconut milk, we also add a reduced tomato puree. Delicious!

Val said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I adore curry and this is a wonderful recipe.

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This looks wonderful. I often like homemade curry sauces much better than the jarred or canned type!

This pictures is gorgeous, I will be making a veggie version of this soon!

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh I meant to add to my first comment:

The broccoli pesto is SO different than regular herb pesto. There is really no comparison it is like very very thick broccoli and cheese soup haha. Delicious on everything...

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i need a trader joes in my life! this looks amazing and spicy!

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.