Monday, October 8, 2012

Vegetarian Moroccan Stuffed Peppers


Pin It Now!

vegetarian-stuffed-peppers/

I have wanted to make stuffed peppers for a long time. I didn't want any greasy sausage or ground beef; my stomach is not tolerating fat at all right now. Instead, I wanted something healthy and filling for my peppers. I just made this up with different grains I needed to get rid of in my pantry and some of my favorite spices.

I started off with 1 cup of broth, kept an eye on the rice to make sure it was getting enough liquid. I ended up adding a little bit more, which eventually added up to 3/4 c more broth.

I made these in advance, around noon when my energy is at it's peak, then stuck them in the fridge til dinner time. It was really easy, which is really important for me. This whole week I have been incredibly sick, my symptoms have worsened, and I have to go back to the hospital for another colonoscopy. ugh.

Vegetarian Moroccan Stuffed Peppers
Printer-friendly version
Yield: 4 stuffed peppers

4 bell peppers
Grapeseed oil (or olive or canola)
1 shallot, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp curry
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp turmeric
¼ tsp cinnamon
Pinch cardamom
1 can garbanzo or cannellini beans, drained
1 ¾ vegetable broth (or chicken broth or water), divided
¼ c quinoa
¼ c couscous
½ c wild rice blend
2 Tbl golden raisins
¼ c pine nuts

350 F oven

Combine all spices in small bowl, set aside.

In skillet (I used a non-stick one), add a Tbl or two of grapeseed oil. Saute shallots, garlic, and spices for about 3 min. Add beans and stir to coat in spices.

Pour in 1 c broth, couscous, quinoa, and wild rice. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, and adding more liquid if necessary.

Meanwhile, cut the tops off the peppers, pull out seeds and ribs. If needed, shave off bottoms to allow them to sit upright. Place in microwave safe dish, cover with cling wrap and microwave 3-5 minutes until soft. Using tongs, dump out any water in peppers and place upside-down on paper or dish towel along with tops. Set aside.

Once the rice is almost done (al dente), stir in raisins and pine nuts, then turn off heat and let sit on stove for a minimum of 5 minutes.

Place peppers in a glass 8x8 baking dish. Fill with Moroccan mixture, top with pepper top/stem. (I had left over filling, which was great for lunch the next day). Place in preheated 350F oven until heated through and beginning to brown, about 20 minutes.

Remove, allow to cool 5-10 min before serving.

Pin It Now!

4 comments:

Brigitt said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Beautiful picture! These sound amazing. I love stuffed peppers and those are some of my favorite spices in there!

GirlyGirlCooks said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ooh! This looks delicious! I love the combination of spices that you used in this dish :)

Katie (The Muffin Myth) said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Yum! This looks amazing! I love stuffed peppers, and the moroccan flavours with quinoa, cous cous, and garbanzo beans sounds so good. Plus it's a one dish dinner! Thanks for the recipe!

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Katie (The Muffin Myth) I found these so filling I could only eat one. Mr.Surly, on the other hand, had no problem poslishing off 2

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.