Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Polenta Vegetable Lasagna


Pin It Now!

polenta lasagna

While browsing around on Tasty Kitchen, this recipe for polenta lasagna caught my eye. I’ve had polenta before and I like it, but I wasn’t really too keen on making it. Then on a recent grocery trip to Trader Joe’s I saw they sold premade polenta.
polenta

I picked it up and came home to create my own version of polenta lasagna, which turned out really tasty. I was going to freeze some leftovers, but Mr.Surly liked it so much it didn’t last very long. Next time I might try to bake or fry the polenta to see if that would help firm up the polenta a bit so it doesn't fall apart so easily. Fresh basil would be amazing in this, but unfortunately my basil plants aren't quite ready.



Polenta Lasagna
Printer-friendly version
serves 4-6

18 oz premade polenta
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp agave
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
Marjoram, to taste
Basil, to taste
Oregano, to taste
Fresh vegetables (I used one of each of the following: zucchini, squash, leek)
~4 cloves garlic, minced
Fresh spinach
Olive oil
1 (14 oz can) quartered artichoke hearts
Fresh mozzarella cheese


First roast the vegetables. Preheat oven to 375F. Cut up the zucchini, squash, leek and garlic. Arrange on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, add a pinch of salt and pepper. I also sprinkled Italian seasonings over everything. Bake until veggies are roasted to your liking. Mine went about 20 min, and I rotated the pan half way through.

While the veggies are roasting make the sauce. Pour both cans of diced tomatoes into a saucepan. Add balsamic vinegar, agave, red pepper flakes, marjoram, basil, and oregano. Bring to a boil and simmer about 15 min. Add salt and pepper to taste, adjusting herbs as necessary.

Now you’re ready to assemble. Grab a baking dish (I used an oval dish, I think it holds almost 2 qt) and put a little bit of sauce in the bottom. Arrange slices of polenta around the dish. Top with fresh spinach leaves and half the artichoke hearts and half the roasted veggies. Add some slices of fresh mozzarella. Repeat layers: sauce, polenta, spinach, artichokes, veggies cheese. I also topped with some fresh percorina romano on top of the final layer of mozzarella cheese.

Bake at 375F 20-30 min, until cheese is melted and beginning to brown. Serve and enjoy.



Source: adapted from My Recession Kitchen

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.