Thursday, May 6, 2010

Lime Laced Mexcian Wedding Cookies


Pin It Now!

Photobucket

I remember the first time I had these cookies back when I was in junior high. My older sister was taking Spanish class and one of her class assignments was to make these cookies. We loved them instantly. Avid bakers often make these cookies around Christmas, sometimes calling them Russian tea cakes. Whatever you call them, no doubt about it, they’re divine. I have a bunch of limes and thought I’d experiment and add some zest and juice to the recipe. It made the finished cookie a bit softer and less crumbly and gave them a nice hint of lime flavor. I’m embarrassed to admit these cookies almost didn’t make it until Mr.Surly came home from work. Lucky for him my abdominal pain kept me from eating the entire batch.



Lime Laced Mexican Wedding Cakes
Yield: about 16 cookies
Printer-friendly version

1 c sliced almonds (or macadamias and/or walnut halves)
¼ c granulated sugar (I used vanilla scented sugar)
Zest and juice of 1 lime
Heaping ¼ tsp cinnamon
1 c (5 oz) flour
Pinch salt
½ c butter, at room temperature, cut into Tbsp
½ c powdered sugar, for coating

Can be made either in a food processor or a mixer.

In food processor:
Add nuts, flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt and lime zest/juice to food processor. Pulse to form a coarse meal. Add butter pieces and pulse til a dough forms. Shape dough into disk and refrigerate until firm, about an hour or up to overnight.

Mixer:
Finely chop nuts. Cream together butter, sugar, lime zest and juice. Stir in nuts, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Shape dough into disk and refrigerate until firm, about an hour or up to overnight.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350F. Remove dough from fridge and allow to soften about 20 min, until malleable. Form 1 Tbsp balls and place on parchment lined baking sheet. The dough will be crumbly and I have found rolling the balls helps them stick together.

Bake til edges are golden brown, about 20 min, rotating pan halfway through baking.

Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet before removing to wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, roll in powdered sugar to coat. Store in an airtight container.


Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.