Monday, June 7, 2010

Ginger Crinkles


Pin It Now!

Photobucket

I’m not a huge fan of ginger--I’m ok with it in small doses, just not overpowering flavor. I have been really nauseous recently, a side effect of the new meds I’m on for my stomach. I know ginger is supposed to be a natural remedy for nausea, so I thought of having some ginger snaps to snack on when I felt ill. I was wary to buy some from the grocery store, because I usually find them too hard and too spiced for me. To be safe, I decided to make my own. I found a recipe that didn’t have too much ginger in it to try. I don't have molasses so I substituted some pure maple syrup instead. They turned out great. I baked them for 10 minutes and they were the perfect consistency, crunchy, but not crispy. Mr. Surly found them tasty as well, though he complained they weren’t gingery enough. He loves ginger (and gingersnaps) much more than I do. So if you want a more pronounced ginger flavor feel free to add more ground ginger. The dough made about 3 dozen cookies, which for two people is a lot. But that’s ok, because I have a recipe planned this week that should take care of any surplus cookies.



Ginger Crinkles
Printer-friendly version
makes about 3 dozen cookies

6 Tbl canola oil
1 large egg
½ c granulated sugar
2 Tbl molasses (or pure maple syrup)
1 tsp baking soda
1 c + 3 Tbl flour
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ginger
3-4 Tbs sugar for rolling

Preheat oven to 375 F.

In a medium bowl, beat together oil, egg, and sugar til stiff and oil is completely absorbed. Stir in molasses and baking soda, mix well.

In a separate, small bowl combine flour, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Slowly add the flour mixture into the oil and egg mixture, stir to form a soft dough.

Put 3-4 Tbl sugar (I vanilla sugar for something different) in a shallow bowl, or on a plate. Roll small tsp sized balls of dough in sugar and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, rotating sheet half way through baking. Cool a couple minutes on baking sheet before transferring to wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.


Source: Cooking the INN Way

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.