Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Peach Blueberry Crumbles


Pin It Now!

Photobucket

This week I had peaches to use up along with some blueberries. I love Cook’s Illustrated berry crumbles, but I thought I’d try a new recipe. A quick search on Food Network produced this highly rated Ina Garten recipe. The recipes are pretty similar, a few minor differences, one being more sugar in Ina's topping.

I have a soft skin peeler that I used to peel my peaches. It has a serrated blade that does an excellent job peeling fruit with soft skins, like peaches and tomatoes. I think it would be fine, if you don't want to peel the peach, to just dice up the peaches. I also have this multi grain cereal that I added to the topping to get some whole grains.

Photobucket




Peach Blueberry Crumbles
Printer-friendly version
Makes 4-6 crumbles (depending on size of ramekins)

For the filling:
1 lb fresh peaches (3-4), peeled (if desired), pitted, and diced
4 oz (~3/4 c) blueberries
Zest of 1 small lemon
1 Tbl lemon juice
¼ c granulated sugar
2 tsp cornstarch

For the topping:
1/3 c multi grain hot cereal (or oats)
¼ c sugar
2 Tbl brown sugar
¼ tsp cinnamon
Fresh grated nutmeg, pinch or two
Pinch kosher salt
4 Tbl butter

Preheat oven to 375F.

Combine filling ingredients and set aside, allowing to sit at least 5 minutes. Spoon into ramekins, placed on parchment lined rimmed baking sheet.

Add the cereal, sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter til plenty of pea sized crumbles. Top ramekins with mixture. Bake until bubbling and tops are golden about 25-30 minutes. Cool at least 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.



Source: adapted from Ina Garten via food network

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.