Monday, August 9, 2010

Heirloom Bruschetta


Pin It Now!

Photobucket

I love bruschetta. Love it. It’s perfect to make in the summer because it is so light and refreshing As a bonus it’s quick to make and you don’t have to turn on the oven nor the stove. This was my dinner the other night and lunch the next day. Mr. Surly is lucky I can’t eat very much in one sitting, otherwise he wouldn’t have gotten any of this.

Of course you can just use any type of tomatoes (homegrown, roma, cherry, etc) you have lying around. But the better the quality of the tomato, the better tasting the bruschetta. I use heirloom because even though they are a bit pricier, the taste is worth it for bruschetta; it’s all about the tomatoes. If you’re feeling lazy you don’t have to seed the tomatoes, but then your bruschetta will be wet and soggy the next day (if it makes it that long).

If my tomato plants would ever grow some cherry tomatoes I’d use those. I’ve never grown vegetables before and I heard tomatoes were easy to grow. Well, my plants are growing, it’s just taking forever for them to flower and produce tomatoes. I certainly don’t have the prolific amount I was expecting. Does that happen to anyone else?



Heirloom Bruschetta
Printer-friendly version

16 oz pkg mini heirloom tomatoes (or about 4 medium sized)
½ to 1 whole small shallot, minced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
~¼ c olive oil
1-2 tsp red wine vinegar
~2 Tbl freshly shredded basil

Baguette or pita chips, for serving

Whisk together the shallot, garlic, olive oil and vinegar in a medium bowl. Add a bit of kosher salt and pepper to taste and set aside.

Cut the tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds. Dry them off a bit on a towel and coarsely chop. Add to the bowl with oil and vinegar, gently toss to combine. Add the basil. If it’s a bit too acidic, you can add a pinch of sugar. Allow to sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Adjust any seasonings if necessary before serving. Serve cold or at room temp with bread or pita chips. I like to toast some baguette slices, drizzle a bit of balsamic vinegar on each slice and top with the bruschetta. Yum.

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.