Friday, September 24, 2010

Butternut Squash and Apple Soup


Pin It Now!

Photobucket

I’m still not really feeling much like being in the kitchen. Due to Mr. Surly being out of town on business for a couple days this week, I didn’t have to make any food. But when he returned I had to make something so I chose to make an easy, quick soup. The addition of the apple and apple juice adds a nice sweetness to this soup. It’s yummy as is, but I’m trying to experiment with different spices to try to jazz it up. This time I added cumin (probably my favorite spice), turmeric and a pinch of cayenne to give it a nice kick. Mr. Surly ate so much of this for dinner that I was lucky to get a picture of it before it disappeared.



Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
Printer-friendly version
serves 4-6

1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 gala apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 ½ to 2 Tbl butter
½ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
2 c vegetable broth (chicken broth would work, too)
½ c apple juice (I just used an entire 6.75 fl oz juice box)
salt and pepper, to taste

optional spices:
cumin
turmeric
pinch cayenne


In large pot or dutch oven, melt butter and sauté onion and nutmeg about 5 minutes. Add squash, apple, sweet potato, broth and juice. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer til veggies are tender, about 20-30 min. Puree with an immersion blender (or in a blender) til smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add any optional spices to taste, if desired.




Source: adapted from Tasty Kitchen

Pin It Now!

4 comments:

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

glad Mr. Surly chowed down!

This looks great- I love 1 pot meals; It makes life so much easier!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This soup sounds incredible. . . much more appetizing than the leftovers dinner I have planned for tonight. I love the idea of adding apple juice!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i want to try this. when i do i'll come and give my verdict. looks appetizing. do you eat it with anything else?

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i can't even describe how good this soup is. i serve it with some crusty bread, usually french baguette. my husband also eats a salad.

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.