Friday, October 8, 2010

Homemade Refried Beans


Pin It Now!

Photobucket

I finally made dinner this week, nothing special, we just had taco night. I did decide to make my own refried beans. I don't like the kind from a can, to me they have a tinny taste to them, like most canned foods. Thank goodness making my own refried beans is super easy.

Have you ever made your own refried beans? Once you make them you are unable to go back the canned kind. They are easy to make in a pressure cooker. I don't really use an exact recipe. I just throw the stuff in my pressure cooker, cook and season to taste. One cup of dry beans would be good for serving about 4-6 people. I make one cup for both of us because Mr. Surly likes to have a lot of beans in his tacos. And we always have left over beans for the next couple days. These beans are good on their on with a little bit of cheese and a dollop of greek yogurt (or sour cream). I'm sure you could make them in pot if you don't have a pressure cooker; they would just take longer to make and you'd probably need to soak the beans overnight.



Homemade Refried Beans
Printer-friendly version

1 c dry pinto beans
3-4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
salt
pepper
olive oil

Make sure your beans are free of stones, then add to pressure cooker. Pour in about 1½ c water; you want enough water to cover the beans by about an inch. Add some salt and pepper, and a couple drizzles of olive oil. Cook for 30 minutes at high pressure. Carefully, open the release valve, allow the steam to escape and check your beans, usually they need to cook for 15 more minutes at high pressure. You want them to be soft and starting to break open. If you feel you need to add more water you could add some. Just judge by how soft your beans are and how much liquid remains. Don't worry about adding too much liquid, your beans won't be watery, I promise.

After cooking for the 15 additional minutes at high pressure, the beans should be ready to go. Take a potato masher and mash the beans to your desired consistency. If you beans are too watery, simmer them about 5-10 minutes to allow water to evaporate and thicken the beans; stir occasionally so the beans don't stick to the bottom or sides of the pan. Once thickened, add any additional salt, pepper, and olive oil to taste.

Serve and enjoy the best refried beans ever.


Pin It Now!

4 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Nice! I had no idea that making your own refried beans was so easy. I haven't used my pressure cooker for a couple years--I think it's time to reintroduce it to my stove. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Wow, you make it look super-easy! Most refried bean recipes are so complicated and have so many ingredients that I don't have in the house that I can't do them. This, I loooove!

Ciao,

L

hip pressure cooking
making pressure cookers hip again, one recipe at a time!

Best slow cooker said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love this, I wasn't bean fan before, but after I tried this, I changed my mind.

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Best slow cooker Yay! Homemade is better than the can, imo

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.