Monday, November 22, 2010

Cranberry Nut Quinoa Salad


Pin It Now!

Photobucket

I have a bunch of quinoa I need to eat. I would, for some reason, buy quinoa each trip to the grocery store, forgetting I already had some. This happened for about 3 consecutive trips. I don’t have any excuse for this, other than quinoa sounded good when I saw it on the grocery store shelf, then I’d go home and discover I already had some in the pantry—oops. Desperate to use some of it, I tried to make looking for interesting quinoa recipes. I came across this recipe someone gave me last year during my gluten free/vegan elimination diet phase.

For a recipe with few ingredients this was so good. I served it in roasted acorn squash “bowls.” The quinoa was just as delicious for lunch the next day minus the squash. I love just about anything that includes balsamic vinegar.

This would be a nice, different side dish for Thanksgiving. Speaking of Thanksgiving, I can't believe it's this week! I thought I had another week to prepare and plan. This is going to be a busy week in the kitchen. Is anyone else freaking out about Thanksgiving dinner?



Cranberry Nut Quinoa Salad
Printer-friendly version
serves 2-3

½ c quinoa
1 c veggie broth (or water)
¼ c dried cranberries
¼ c chopped walnuts (or almonds)

for the vinaigrette:
2 Tbl balsamic vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
1 Tbl olive oil
~1 tsp agave (or sugar or honey)
2 cloves garlic, minced
~1 tsp Italian seasonings
½ lemon, squeezed (~1-2 tsp)

Add quinoa and broth into a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, covered, until all the liquid is absorbed (about 15 minutes).

While quinoa cooks, combine vinaigrette ingredients together in a small bowl (I used a 1 c measuring cup) and whisk to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste, and adjust any seasonings if necessary.

Once quinoa is cooked, stir in cranberries and nuts. Pour dressing over everything, stir. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes. Serve cold or at room temperature.




Pin It Now!

4 comments:

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I am not freaking out... I have passed most of the food to my mother! :)

looks delish though... Glad you are back and less busy!

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

you are so lucky you don't have to make everything yourself! it's just me and mr. surly this year; i'm too sick to make the 8 hr drive/2 hr flight to be with family. thnxg is his favorite holiday so i'm trying to plan a feast so he won't feel cheated nor miss out on anything by staying here instead of us going up north to be with family.

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

how did it go? what all did you make? hope you are feeling better!

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i made way too much food. i will hopefully get some posts up this wkd. it's awesome b/c since thnxgv i haven't had to be in the kitchen at all. we're still eating leftovers!

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.