Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Stuffed Acorn Squash


Pin It Now!

Photobucket

This was my dinner the other night. For most people this would probably be a great side dish, but I could only eat one of these before I was full. I just threw together a bunch of stuff I had in my fridge. I didn't measure anything out exactly, I just added things until I had what looked good and I seasoned to taste. Oh my, for being thrown together this was so good. I plan on making this for Thanksgiving, maybe adding an apple and some walnuts (which I didn't have when I made it this time). This reheats really well, so it can be made in advance and reheated, which for me is a bonus. The brown sugar crusted squash is well complimented by the slightly tart cranberry stuffing. Yum.



Stuffed Acorn Squash
Printer-friendly version

1/2 to 1 butternut squash (depends on size)
~3-4 c dried bread cubes
~1 c fresh cranberries
~4 c vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
3 Tbl butter
marjoram (to taste, ~1-2 tsp)
sage (to taste, ~1-2 tsp)
basil (to taste, ~1-2 tsp)
thyme (to taste, ~1-2 tsp)
salt
pepper
2 acorn squash
~ 4 Tbl brown sugar
pine nuts for garnish, if desired

for the stuffing:
Peel and remove the seeds from the butternut squash, then cube. Arrange on a baking sheet and roast at 375F for 15-20 minutes or until fork tender.

Combine bread cubes, cranberries, and butternut squash together in a baking dish. Microwave the butter til melted, add spices to taste, then pour over bread cubes. Add enough broth to moisten bread crumbs (I used about 3/4 of a carton, then after baking a bit added the rest of the broth). Stir gently to combine. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 375F for about 30-45 minutes until the cranberries pop open. Then bake uncovered until golden brown.

for the acorn squash:
Cut each acorn squash in half and remove the seeds. Place flesh side up on a baking sheet. Lightly salt each half, and sprinkle with some brown sugar. Roast at 375 F until tender, about 20 minutes. I like to poke holes in the squash and pop it back in to bake about 5 minutes longer so the brown sugar infuses throughout the squash. Allow squash to cool, then add stuffing. Sprinkle with pine nuts and serve.




Pin It Now!

1 comments:

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

looks beautiful! you should submit this to tastespotting!

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.