Monday, December 20, 2010

Macadamia Fudge


Pin It Now!

Photobucket

I love chocolate but I’m not a big fan of fudge. I think it’s because I feel like eating fudge is a waste of calories; I’d rather just eat a square of dark chocolate.

I don’t have a go-to fudge recipe since I don’t eat it so I started looking around for recipes. I admit I was nervous, especially after all the trouble I had last week with the mint recipe. Most of the simple and easy recipes called for a jar of marshmallow fluff or mini marshmallows. I detest marshmallows and marshmallow fluff; way too sweet and sugary for my taste. I found it difficult to find an easy fudge recipe that did not include this stuff. I learned in my recipe research that fudge gets its smooth consistency from careful temperature monitoring. For people who don’t want to fiddle around with a candy thermometer to maintain the perfect fudge cooking temperature, marshmallow fluff is the secret to smoothness. So what about people, like me, who don’t want to deal with a candy thermometer nor add a jar of marshmallow fluff?

There had to be a recipe out there for me so I kept searching for a fudge that sounded appealing. I finally settled on this marshmallow fluff-free recipe. It turned out to be pretty good, a bit on the sweet side, but still good. Using evaporated milk instead of sweetened condensed milk might cut down on the sweetness factor. I ended up making a full batch and froze some. Though, at the rate that Mr. Surly is eating them up, the frozen ones might not last much longer.

Tonight I head north to the city of Brotherly Love for the next week and a half to be with family for Christmas. I envision myself snuggled up on the couch, watching movies while being attended to by worried, loving family members. It will be wonderful to be coddled and made much of. Though I’m not looking forward to cold temps and snow.



Macadamia Fudge
Printer-friendly recipe
yield: ~2 lbs

18 oz semisweet chocolate (~3 c chocolate chips)
1 can (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
pinch salt
5 oz (~1 c) chopped macadamia nuts
1 ½ tsp vanilla
butter, for greasing the dish

Line an 8x8 inch square pan with foil. Grease the foil with butter, set aside.

Melt the chocolate, milk, and pinch salt, either on the stove over low heat, or in the microwave in 30 sec intervals. I combined them in a 4 qt glass measuring cup and melted in the microwave.

Once chocolate is melted, stir in the vanilla and nuts. Pour into prepared pan and chill until firm (~2 hrs).

Lift foil out of pan; peel away from fudge. Cut into bite-sized squares. Store in airtight container.



Source: Taste of Home’s Best Loved Cookies and Candies 2010


Pin It Now!

8 comments:

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I am with you on the dark choc! I was feeling a little blah about fudge, but I think it was a success!

you better submit that photo to foodgawker! It is literally perfect!

Amy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I always feel pretty naughty when I eat fudge...but I justify that by saying it's my holiday treat. And it is!

I'm in the midst of justifying my fudge consumption right now. Please pay no attention to me.

But I've always wondered if there was an easy recipe that didn't require marshmallow fluff. I'm glad you found one! I've never put macadamia nuts in mine, so I'll have to try that when I go on my fudge-making spree this week.

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i love macadamia nuts. my doctor wants me to snack on them since they are high in (healthy) fat. they are so yummy

Manu said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Gourgeous picture!
Macadamia fudge sounds amazing!!! Love it!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh these look divine! Chocolate and macadamia, how can you lose?!
I just found your site through another blogger friend and I very much look forward to reading more! All the best in the holidays and new year
~Megan
aka Wanna Be A Country Cleaver

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I totally feel you on the wasted calories for fudge! To my great pleasure I tried the recipe on the back of the marshmallow fluff container and...ho-ly crap! It was the most wonderful fudge I have ever had. I highly recommend it (even though I would still rather eat a square of good dark chocolate)!

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh I definitely meant to point out that your fudge looks absolutely wonderful and I wish I had thought to put nuts in mine, yum!

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Megan (country cleaver)--
love your blog background. i'm jealous of all the cookies you made and iced. holiday dittos!

MegSmith--
i hate marshmallow fluff. it makes my teeth ache. was the fudge sugary as a result of using it?

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.