Friday, December 3, 2010

Roasted Sweet Potato Balls


Pin It Now!

Photobucket

Another dish I wanted to make for Thanksgiving was some kind of sweet potato appetizer. Not one that included lots of sugar and marshmallows. My body isn’t absorbing fat, so lots of excess sugar and fat makes me feel nauseous and sick. I prefer to sneak good fats into my diet to try to trick my body into absorbing it. So far it hasn’t worked; my body is too smart. But I’ll keep trying. Since I need the fat and calories, I use butter to grease my dish, otherwise I would just use non-stick coconut oil.

Anyway, back to the sweet potato balls. I didn’t follow any recipe, I just made it up as I went along. I think they turned out really well. I love bite-sized things, and these were perfect. I made these up on wed and popped them in the oven on thurs right before serving our appetizers. Simple and low key, just how I like things. Oh and they are healthy, too. If you’re not a fan of nuts the walnuts can be omitted. I added a lot of walnuts since they contain a lot of “good fat.”

I have other scrumptious recipes from our thanksgiving dinner, but I have no idea when I’ll get around to posting them. The medicine I’m on is really kicking my ass, leaving me really tired, drained and way behind in my posting. I’m really hoping my posts are at least somewhat coherent and my recipe instructions make sense.



Roasted Sweet Potato Balls
Printer-friendly version

2 medium sized sweet potatoes
~¼ tsp cinnamon
~1 Tbl maple syrup
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
pinch cayenne

for the topping:
~¼ c finely chopped walnuts
~¼ c rolled oats (or quick oats, doesn’t really matter)
1-2 Tbl brown sugar, depending taste

Wrap potatoes in foil and roast at 375 F until tender. Remove and allow to cool. Once cool, peel and mash the potato. Add maple syrup and spices, mix to combine (I just mash it and mix it with a fork).

Add the topping ingredients to a shallow plate. Set aside.

Remove in Tbls scoop and roll into balls. Roll around in topping mixture, add to a buttered 8x8 baking dish. Repeat for rest of the potato mixture.

Either bake immediately, or cover and put in fridge until ready to bake. If baking, spray balls coconut oil cooking spray (or olive or canola oil) and put uncovered in oven. If storing in fridge, allow to come to room temperature before spraying with oil and baking.

Bake at 375 F until balls are heated and topping is golden brown, about 20-30 minutes, rotating dish halfway through.



Pin It Now!

8 comments:

Amy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These look spicy and delicious; I wanna pop one in my mouth right now!

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Those look so cute and delicious! The fact that they are crunchy on the outside without frying them is perfect! I wish I would have made them for Thanksgiving, perhaps they will make an appearance in my Christmas meal! Your picture is great too :-)

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Meg these would be a perfect christmas dinner appetizer! i think i might make them again and get some fun holiday skewers to serve them with. For thanksgiving all i had were toothpicks, not very pretty, but served the purpose.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

wow. these look amazing. i'm going out to buy sweet potatoes just so i can make them!

Lauren said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I LOVE this idea! I'm a huge sweet potato fan, (as is evidenced by the number of sweet potato recipes I posted on my blog during the month of November), and am excited to make this unique & healthy take on sweet potato casserole

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

lauren~ i love sweet potatoes, too. i'm always looking for new ways to prepare them. i'll have to check out your recipes for them for new ideas.

Meghan said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Has anyone tried these on cocktail skewers/toothpicks with success? I'd like to, but am worried about whether they'll hold? Thanks1

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@MeghanI used toothpicks to serve them. it depends on how firm you make the balls. mine held up well when eaten like a cake pop.

i'm sure you could find a Pin on pinterest to dress up the toothpicks.

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.