Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Baked Falafel


Pin It Now!

Photobucket


This week is just dragging by for me. I think it’s because I’ve been pretty sick and lethargic this week. All I seem to want to do is sleep, and when I am awake, I struggle to keep my eyes open. Needless to say, I haven’t done much in the kitchen. I made these last week and just couldn’t muster up the energy to post about them. Today, I forced myself back in the kitchen and back to the computer.

These don’t look very pretty. They get their anemic, yellow hue from the turmeric, which isn’t necessary to the flavor, I just add it because it’s supposed to be a “healing” spice; a really good anti-inflammatory. I’ll try anything to help aide my GI issues so I usually toss this spice into a variety of foods. I don’t notice a difference in taste, just in color.

These could be fried or sauted in oil in a skillet, but since I try to minimize my stomach pain, I chose to bake them so they wouldn’t be greasy. I served mine with greek yogurt, and chipotle chile yogurt (I mixed a pureed chile and adobo sauce into plain, greek yogurt), but tzatziki would be amazing. I didn't serve them in pitas, we ate them with homemade sweet potato fries.

The hardest thing about making these is remembering to soak the chickpeas in advance, which for me, is difficult. After days of the leaving the recipe and chickpeas on the kitchen counter, I finally had to write a post-it note to myself. Guess subtlety doesn't work too well with me.



Baked Falafel
Printer-friendly recipe
serves about 4

1 c dried chickpeas
~2 Tbl fresh cut cilantro
¼ tsp cayenne
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp dried coriander
1 tsp turmeric
juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp baking powder
~4 tbl flour
Olive oil, for baking

Day (or night) before:
Place the beans in a medium bowl and cover with a few inches of water. Allow to soak up to 24 hours.

Preheat the oven to 350.

Drain and rinse the chickpeas, and transfer them to a food processor. Add cilantro, salt, garlic, spices, and lemon; pulse several times to form a thick paste. Transfer to a medium bowl, add the baking powder, and mix to combine. Add the flour, one Tbl at a time, until the mixture stays together when formed into a ball.

Form the mixture into balls then flatten into patties of desired size.

Place on baking sheet, spray with olive oil cooking spray (or brush with olive oil) bake about 15 minutes. Flip, spray again with olive oil and bake about 10-15 min more until golden brown.



Source: slightly adapted from Pink Parsley


Pin It Now!

10 comments:

GirlyGirlCooks said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I've never had a falafel and I've never even seen what they look like. They have always been a mystery food to me! I'm going to have to try this sometime! Feel better!

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Those look and sound AMAZING. I think baking things that are "meant" to be fried is always a better option and I usually cannot even tell a difference. Plus, I always feel better after eating something baked. I truly love falafels, this is going on my to-do lists asap.

L. Neusiedler said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

they look delicious! worth trying soon ;)!

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

haley, these look nothing like traditional falafel, which resemeble ping pong balls that are deep fried to a golden brown and served in pitas. but, in my opinion, these are much better tasting than regular falafel. if you're ever in NYC the street vendors actually have pretty good falafel.

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I have been a little puny recently too... These look amazing! My friend Kate is OBSESSED with falafel- I am sending her to your site immediately!

**great pics too! I am super jealous of your new camera

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Stumbled on your site thanks to Claire. I LOVE the idea of baking them. I have a falafel recipe I'm very fond of, but I dread the frying part. These look healthier but just as delicious. Will be trying this recipe soon...

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Kate, i'd love to try out your falafel recipe. i'm always wanting to try new recipes for foods that i like

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

claire, i still haven't even explored all the possibilities of my camera. i still mostly use auto mode; i just haven't the energy to play around with it much. but yes, i love it and highly recommend it.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I actually think the yellow from the turmeric looks really pretty, especially against the white plate. Great picture, and delicious-sounding recipe!

Amy at TheSceneFromMe said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I've always wanted to try Falafel and actually wondered what it was made of. Your recipe sounds like its full of delicious, good for me, ingredients!

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.