Thursday, January 6, 2011

Chai Latte Cupcakes


Pin It Now!

Photobucket

I am finally settling in back home into my usual routine. I got the Christmas decorations packed away until next year, went to the hospital for some tests, and ran some errands. Now I feel I can relax and resume my daily activities stress-free.

Lately I’ve been on a chai latte kick. It started over my Christmas vacation. I got used to having a cup of chai tea almost everyday. Since I've been home, I have missed that daily dose of chai. I noticed these cupcakes in a cupcake book my sister gave me. They turned out great, not too sweet, with a nice, warm flavor from the spices. I debated on whether I should make frosting for them but decided against it since we still have sugary Christmas treats to eat up. My chai craving has been satiated.



Chai Latte Cupcakes
Printer-friendly recipe
Yeild: 6 cupcakes

½ c milk
2 black tea bags
2 Tbl canola oil
¼ c yogurt
¼ c + 2 Tbl sugar
½ tsp vanilla
½ c + 2 Tbl + 2tsp flour
1/8 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp cardamom
¼ tsp ginger
1/8 tsp cloves
pinch white pepper

topping:
~2 Tbl powdered sugar
1 Tbl cocoa powder
½ tsp cinnamon
pinch freshly grated nutmeg


Preheat oven to 350F.

In glass measuring cup, microwave milk 90 seconds. Remove, add tea bags, cover and steep for 10 minutes. Dunk the tea bags a few times, then squeeze and discard. If needed, add more milk to bring liquid volume up to ½ cup.

In bowl, combine the tea, canola oil, yougurt, sugar, and vanilla. Mix until smooth (I used a whisk). Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices in small bowl; sift into wet ingredients. Stir to combine until any large lumps disappear. Add to greased muffin pan.

Bake ~15-20 minutes, until inserted pick comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack.

Before serving, sprinkle each muffin with powdered sugar. Combine cocoa and spices, then sift over muffins.




Source: halved and slightly adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero



Pin It Now!

1 comments:

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Yummy! I absolutely love that you make your own chai flavor with the tea and spices. I always think of chai as a holiday treat, these are definitely going on my to-make list for the next holiday season (or maybe next weekend) ;-)

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.