Friday, January 14, 2011

Lemon-Garlic Chicken Noodle Soup


Pin It Now!

Photobucket


I wasn’t even considering posting this soup because it’s not very visually appealing. I didn’t give it much thought, to me it was just soup. But Mr. Surly raved so much about it, I thought I’d better hurry and post it before I forgot what I did. I had to hurry and get a picture of it, so I apologize for the unappetizing photo.

I love the depth of flavor the roasted garlic adds, while the addition of lemon brightens the flavor. I’ve seen tri colored egg noodles, which would be pretty in this, but I didn’t have any. All I had were boring whole wheat noodles.

I add leeks and cabbage since they are natural diuretics, thereby decreasing any abdominal bloating. No matter what I eat or drink, my abdomen still swells up after just a couple bites or sips of food. It’s painful and frustrating, so I’m trying to consume natural diuretics to help reduce the bloat. If you don’t like cabbage, it’s not a necessary ingredient to the soup, though red cabbage would look nice in it. I try to use leeks instead of onion, because onions just add to my tummy distention. But if you want, onion could be used instead of leeks.



Lemon Garlic Chicken Noodle Soup
Printer-friendly recipe
serves ~6-8

1 head garlic
olive oil
2 chicken breasts
2 c chicken broth
4 c water
2-3 bay leaves
2 leeks
1 lemon, juiced and zested
1 (10 oz) bag shredded cabbage
~2 c egg noodles

First you need to roast the garlic.
Preheat oven to 400F.

Cut the top off a head of garlic to expose the cloves. Drizzle with about 1 Tbl olive oil, wrap in foil, and bake until brown and tender, about 30-45min. Allow to cool.

Meanwhile, add the chicken, leeks, and bay leaves to a large pot or dutch oven. Pour 4 c water and 2 c chicken broth. Simmer, covered until chicken is cooked through, ~45 minutes.

Remove chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces; return to pot. Add ~2 c egg noodles (more or less based on how many noodles you like in your soup. I didn’t measure out an exact amount, I just tossed in a couple handfuls).

Add the lemon juice and zest to small bowl. Squeeze the roasted garlic into the bowl and stir into the lemon juice. Then add it to the pot along with the cabbage. Cook until noodles are softened, about 10 minutes.



Source: adapted from Rachel Ray



Pin It Now!

5 comments:

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I certainly do not think that is an unappetizing photo :-) This soup sounds pretty tasty (with the obvious omission of meat items) still I am glad to hear you may be finding some foods you can eat comfortably!

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I agree with Meg- It looks great! Anything with garlic is my cup of tea!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I know this is an old post, but just in case you are still having problems with bloating: a diuretic isn't what you need, because bloating typically isn't caused by liquid. If your abdomen is bloating, I hope you will see a GI doc to be evaluated. It sounds like you have IBD (not IBS. they aren't the same, so don't let someone pawn that off on you.) Good luck!

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@00goddess
I have actually been seeing a GI doctor for 6 years. I have gastroparesis which causes the bloat. I document all my GI issues on the eosinophilic gastritis tab.:)

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This soup is delicious. I added arugula which is low oxalate. It added nice color and I though was visually appealing :).

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.