Monday, March 14, 2011

Chai Biscotti


Pin It Now!

Photobucket


Well, my low oxalate diet has begun. It’s going to take some time to fully adjust to it, and I have to reference my "good", "bad", and "limit" lists. Black tea is on my “foods to avoid” list, so my daily cup of chai tea (made from black tea) is out. So I had to find a new way to get my chai fix. I’ve been thinking a lot about biscotti recently, I’m not sure why, so I decided to try to come up with some kind of chai flavor biscotti. I wanted to make them vegan, and that took some adjusting to make sure the texture came out right.

It took a few attempts to get the right flavor ratio and dry to liquid ratio. The almonds are on my list of “bad” foods, but I figured ¼ c of thin slices spread throughout the whole loaf wouldn’t be too harmful for my diet. And flax is on my “limit” list, and I figure 2 Tbl is limiting.

I made a small batch, because I wasn’t sure if Mr. Surly would be into eating them. It’s a nice treat, and for me, it was the right amount. But feel free to double the recipe if you’re really into biscotti.



Chai Biscotti
Printer-friendly recipe
makes ~8 pieces

2 Tbl ground flaxseed meal
6Tbl water
2 Tbl flaxseed oil (or canola oil)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c flour
¼ c sugar
½ tsp baking powder
pinch salt
½ tsp cardamom
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp ginger
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp freshly (or ground) nutmeg
pinch white pepper (opt)
¼ c sliced almonds, toasted

Preheat oven to 350 F

Add ground flaxseed and water to a mixing bowl, whisk to combine. Add oil and extract. Sift in the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices). Add almonds and stir to just combine.

Line a baking sheet with silicone liner or parchment paper. Shape the dough into a loose rectangular shape. Bake 25 min, flipping sheet halfway through baking time, until the loaf is firm and golden brown.

Remove loaf to cutting board. Reduce oven to 300 F.

Using a serrated slice loaf into biscotti sticks.


Photobucket


Place sticks, cut side up, on baking sheet and return to the oven for 15 minutes more.

Photobucket


Place on wire rack to cool completely. Store in airtight container.




*Note: you can replace the ground flaxseed and water with 2 eggs



Pin It Now!

3 comments:

Corrine said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Mmmm, those look delicious! My husband loves chai, I'll have to make those for him one of these days.

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

wow! looks great!

Mariya said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Another low oxalate diet victim here. I'll keep my eyes peeled for more recipes of that nature here, but where I don't have to sacrifice flavor.

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.