Thursday, March 31, 2011

Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken


Pin It Now!

Photobucket


This week has gone by so fast for me! I'm finally getting around to editing photos and getting some posts up. I feel like I'm so far behind! I have missed reading my favorite blogs, and I plan to catch up on that this weekend.

I've been going through a lot of my recipes to see if I can deem them low oxalate. I have made this chicken many times; we really like it. I’m not sure if this is an ideal dish for a low oxalate diet. The soy sauce is on my list of foods to avoid, but I figured using just low sodium would be fine.Besides, I dilute it with pineapple juice, which is on my “good” list. ;)

I've made this with fresh pineapple and canned. Canned is obviously less work and tastes just as good. I really love sweet and spicy combinations. Don’t substitute cooking sherry for the dry sherry, they are different and cooking sherry is loaded with sodium (which is bad for a low oxalate diet). I have grilled it, cooked it in a skillet, and one time I even just tossed everything in an 8x8" glass dish and baked it at 375F. Just depends on my mood, and how tired/lazy I'm feeling.

You can serve this with rice, couscous, millet, almost any grain. I chose orzo since it's a pasta, which is on my "good" oxalate list.



Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken
Printer-friendly recipe
serves 2

1/3 c dry sherry (NOT cooking sherry. I bought a cheap bottle of dry sherry at Trader Joe’s)
¼ c low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
~1 Tbl Hoisin sauce
½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 20-ounce can pineapple chunks, reserve juice from the can
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon butter

Whisk sherry, soy sauce, brown sugar hoisin sauce, red pepper flakes and 1/3 cup pineapple juice in shallow dish or Ziploc quart sized bag. Add pineapple chicken and gently stir to coat. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes. I mix this up in the morning, put it in a Ziploc bag and let it marinate until dinner, flipping occasionally.

Meanwhile, preheat grill or skillet to medium-high.

Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry; reserve the marinade. Oil the skillet or grill rack. Cook the chicken cooked through, ~8 minutes per side.

Pour the reserved pineapple chunks marinade in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally about 5 minutes or so (this will kill the bacteria from the raw chicken). Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Sometimes I like to add more pineapple juice. Add 1 tsp cold water to the cornstarch and stir, to make a slurry. Pour into marinade, stir, bring to a boil and stir until thickened. Stir in butter (this is optional. I need the fat so I add it).

Serve the chicken drizzled with pineapple sauce.




source: adapted from Cooking Light



Pin It Now!

4 comments:

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Mmm...I can totally see myself making this sauce and serving it over rice! I love the sweet, sour, and salty trifecta!

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

can you fly to Dallas and take pics of my food??!

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

claire, as long as you do all the cooking, i'll attempt the photos. though i give most of the credit to my nikon d90, it's the bomb. and i'm slowing learning how to use it

Val said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love this recipe!! These are some of my most favorite flavors.

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.