Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Mediterranean Chicken and Peppers


Pin It Now!

medckn6


This is one of my favorite meals for 2 reasons: 1) it's delicious and 2) it's easy. I love bell peppers and this dish is chock full of them. Plus, it has my beloved balsamic vinegar in it. And who doesn't love a dish that you just throw together, pop into the oven, and forget about it. The longest part is chopping all the peppers and that only takes a few minutes.

If you like olives, some Kalamata olives would be a tasty addition to this. I don't like olives, I find them too salty, but Mr. Surly loves them.

I have served this over quinoa, millet, couscous, and rice. Sometimes I add cubed potatoes to the dish. This dish makes a regular appearance in our menu rotation.



Mediterranean Chicken and Peppers
Printer-friendly version
serves 2

3 bell peppers, any color, chopped
¼ c balsamic vinegar
1/8 c Worcestershire sauce
1/8 c olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
½ Tbl dried basil
½ tsp Italian seasonings
~ ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
~½ c cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
2 chicken breasts

any cooked grain: wild rice, millet, couscous, quinoa, etc

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Put peppers and cherry tomatoes (if using) in large bowl.
In liquid measuring cup combine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, garlic, and spices. Stir, then pour over peppers, tossing to coat.
Place chicken breasts in the bottom of a baking pan sprayed with cooking spray. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour the pepper mixture over the chicken arranging them evenly over chicken.

Loosely cover the pan with a piece of foil and bake until chicken is cooked through, about 45 minutes. I checked my chicken after 30 minutes, and spooned liquid over the chicken to keep it moist.

Serve over grain of your choice. This time I served ours over wild rice and pinenuts.




Source: adapted slightly from Karina’s Kitchen



Pin It Now!

1 comments:

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

mmm! i love the bright colors- I am sure this is bursting with flavor!

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.