Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Black Bean Lasagna


Pin It Now!

blkbeanlsgna3

This lasagna is something I just threw together the other day when I didn’t feel like making much for dinner. I’ve seen lasagna rolls on various blogs and, one day, wanted to take a stab at making my own. I don’t like ground beef and I knew if there was no protein in this dish there was a chance Mr. Surly would find this dinner neither filling nor satiating. In order to curb and avoid possible post-dinner kitchen foraging, I added black beans for protein.

Now, black beans are on my “avoid” list for the low oxalate diet, but I haven’t been following the diet too strictly recently. My GI doctor ordered more tests, and wants me to eat as I normally would to get accurate results. I have been eating all the chocolately treats I can in the meantime. This accounts for my recent scrumptious Chocolate Stout Cupcakes post.

This meal was easy to prepare, while my noodles boiled I mixed up the filling, and seasoned the tomato sauce. The rolls aren’t too hard to assemble. If you roll too tightly the filling pops out but that’s not a big deal; you just pinch it back in.

Both Mr.Surly and I enjoyed this, though he did comment it could use more spices. I thought it tasted great, but with my GI issues I have acquired a very bland palate, much safer for my GI tract that way.

blkbean lasagna

thanks for the new dish MIL :)




Black Bean Lasagna Rolls
Printer-friendly recipe
makes 12 mini rolls
serves 2

1 (14.5 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 bell pepper (any color), diced
2-3 cloves garlic
~2 Tbl olive oil
1 (16 oz) container ricotta cheese (or cottage cheese)

spices to taste:
*basil
*oregano
*marjoram
*Italian seasoning

a few Tbl chopped fresh basil (opt)
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
6 lasagna noodles, boiled, cooled and cut in half
1 (28 oz) can tomato sauce (or jar of marinara sauce)
½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes


make the filling for the rolls:
In a small nonstick pan over medium heat, sauté garlic in a Tbl for about 2 minutes. Add bell pepper, black beans, and ~1-2 tsp of each the dried spices. Sauté for about 3-5 minutes, until garlic is fragrant. Remove from heat and put into small heat-safe bowl. Add the ricotta cheese and fresh basil (jf using), stir to combine. Add a small handful ~¼ to 1/3 shredding mozzarella and ~ ¼ c grated parmesan cheese. Mix well.

Pour tomato sauce into a small bowl and season with more (1-2 tsp) dried spices, salt, and pepper. Add a splash of olive oil and the red pepper flakes; stir. Put a few spoonfuls into the bottom of a small baking dish. Using a spoon, scoop out some of the filling, and add it to a lasagna noodle, rolling the noodle around the filling. If filling comes out, place your index finger and thumb over the open ends and pinch the filling back into the roll. Place seam side down in baking dish. Repeat til all the noodles are used. Pour remaining sauce over rolls. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top and cover with foil.

At this point you can either keep it in the fridge until you’re ready for dinner, or bake immediately (or you could stash it in the freezer for another day).

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 and bake, covered in foil, 45 min to an hour, til heated through and sauce is bubbling a bit. Remove foil, and bake an additional 5-10 min until cheese is browned. Allow to cool about 10-15 min before serving, then enjoy.

blkbeanlsgna5

Pin It Now!

6 comments:

Heidi @ Food Doodles said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That looks yummy :) I never would have thought to put beans in lasagna but it sounds like a great idea :D

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oooo I love the ideas of this little beauty!! Especially all of the veggies. I've been meaning to start a meat-less Monday, this will be on that list :)

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

that last pic is amazing- looks straight off of food network!

purabi naha said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These days I'm really concentrating on making a perfect lasagne dish. Yours is a great idea. This looks beautiful and yummy! Bookmarked.

Lazaro Cooks said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Black bean lasagna. Awesome. Have not seen this combo before. Must try.

Surly Kitchen fantastic name for a blog. Actually, I think my readers would say it applies to me.

Be well

Jayanthy Kumaran said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

very new 2 me...yummy..
fist time here..love your space..
excellent pics with interesting posts..
Am your happy subscriber now..:)
do stop by mine sometime.
Tasty Appetite

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.