Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Chai Eggnog


Pin It Now!

chainog2

On the sixth day of Christmas my bartender made for me, Chai Eggnog to share with others besides just me...

I wanted to include some traditional Christmas drinks with some kind of twist to make them different. I love Chai lattes, so it was a no-brainer to add Chai concentrate to spice up the eggnog. I just wish we had the National Lampoon's Christmas moose mugs to drink it in.

Can you believe I have never had eggnog before? Am I the only one? It just never really appealed to me because I don't like milk. But after tasting this, I'm totally a fan, maybe because of the Chai. I really wanted to use coconut milk instead of regular milk, but we didn't have any. I will make this again for Mr.Surly and myself using coconut milk. Mmmmm, it will be like a coconut chai latte spiked with booze.

If you can't find Chai concentrate, here is a good recipe to make your own from spices and sweetened condensed milk.



Chai Eggnog
Printer-friendly recipe
Serves ~6

1 c chai concentrate (we used Oregan Chai Concentrate Original)
1 c milk
1/3 c sugar
½ vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
4 large egg yolks
½ c cold heavy cream
1 oz bourbon
1 oz rum
Freshly grated nutmeg, for sprinkling

Heat milk, sugar, and vanilla bean and seeds in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, whisking until sugar has dissolved. Whisk yolks in a large bowl. Pour hot milk mixture into yolks in a slow, steady stream, whisking.

Return milk-yolk mixture to pan, and cook over medium-low heat, whisking often, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 20 minutes (do not let simmer). Pour through a fine sieve into a bowl; discard bean. Whisk in cream, bourbon, and rum. Let cool completely. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour (up to 1 day)**.

Serve sprinkled with nutmeg.

**since we were just photographing we skipped the refrigeration step.



Source: halved and slightly adapted from Martha Stewart

surly kitchen

Pin It Now!

4 comments:

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

for some reason the linky thing isnt working... i will try again when I get to work...

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i lied... it showed up on yesterdays post!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I wonder if I can get something like this at Starbucks in coffee form? This can't possibly be unfortunate!

Heather said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh, I would SO love this! If I only had access to all those ingredients RIGHT NOW!

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.