Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Coconut Lime Cupcakes


Pin It Now!

limecpcks8a.jpeg

I can't believe St.Patrick's Day is this Saturday! This week I'm slowly easing into to the Irish theme. I have been suffering from a horrible ear infection that is just wiping out my already low energy level. I feel like all have been posting is cupcakes and cocktails. I just don't have any energy to make dinner right now. So for the time being, maybe I should rename my blog "cocktails and cupcakes."

I have wanted to make these cupcakes for a long time, but Mr.Surly doesn't like coconut, so I knew I'd be stuck eating them. I decided to make them for this week since limes are green, even though they aren't Irish.



cooling


Next time I make these I think I will make less icing. These cupcakes are like bakery cupcakes, with about 2 lbs of frosting heaped on top, which, I feel, takes away from the flavor of the cupcake. Not to mention the frosting is so sweet and sugary it would give you an instant cavity. I even used less powdered sugar than the recipe called for.

limecpcks2


Once I removed some of the frosting, I really enjoyed these cupcakes. I love lime flavor because it tastes so refreshing. I used 2 medium limes for the zest and lime juice and 1 small lime for topping the cupcakes.

These cupcakes would make a nice addition to any St.Paddy's day party, even though they aren't Irish they're still green.

Coconut Lime Cupcakes
Printer-friendly version
Makes 6 cupcakes

Make the cupcakes:
2 Tbl+2 tsp coconut oil
6 Tbl (~1/3 c + 1 Tbl) sugar
½ c coconut milk
1 Tbl+1 tsp milk
½ tsp vanilla
½ Tbl lime zest
½ c flour
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
Pinch salt
¾ unsweetened coconut

Lime slices for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In a large microwave safe bowl, add coconut oil. Melt in microwave on defrost setting for ~30-45 seconds. Set aside.

Sift together flour, baking powder and soda, along with salt in another bowl, set aside.

Back to the bowl with the melted coconut oil, add sugar and mix well. Then add in coconut milk, milk, and vanilla. Blend together. Stir in lime zest.

Add in the dry ingredients, a little at a time, and mix until smooth. Stir in coconut flakes.

Add batter to cupcake wells, filling ~2/3 full. Bake until cupcake springs up when top is touched and toothpick comes out clean; about 20-25 minutes.

Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on wire rack.


Lime Buttercream Frosting
2 Tbl shortening
2 Tbl butter
~1 ½ c powdered sugar
½ tsp vanilla
~ 1-2 Tbl lime juice
~½ -¾ tsp lime zest
Green food coloring (opt)

Beat shortening and butter together until fluffy. Slowly sift in powdered sugar a little at a time, beat to stiff. Beat in vanilla and lime juice until fluffy. Stir in lime zest. Taste to make sure there is enough lime flavor to your taste. Stir in green food coloring, if desired, to achieve green color.

Assemble the Cupcakes
Pipe buttercream on cooled cupcake. Over a plate, sprinkle coconut on top, then turn cupcake upside-down over plate and roll in coconut. Keep adding coconut until you feel there is enough. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Before serving, cut a lime into thin slices. Cut a slice from center to end and twist slightly to top cupcake.



Source: halved and slightly adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero

Pin It Now!

3 comments:

Brigitt said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Looks great! I love coconut and lime. This combo is making me long for my trip to Florida next week!

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

are you having a party?! those are precious!

@acca said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Look at those beautiful green icing. It is so sweet and fresh at the same time. Dropping mint leaves on it would be perfect I think.
How to Make Sweet Potato Fries

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.