Saturday, March 17, 2012

Shamrock Shake


Pin It Now!

shamrockshake1


Who doesn't love a Shamrock shake? It's basically a St.Paddy's Day, month of March staple, thanks to McDonald's. When I moved down to the South 6 years ago, once March came around I went to McDonald's to get my annual Shamrock shake. When I ordered one, the employee is like,"A shamrock, what? What is a shamrock shake?" They had no idea what I was talking about. I was incredulous, how could this (and every other nearby McDonalds)not know what a Shamrock shake was? Determined to find one, I went to every McDonald's I could find, but none of them knew what I was talking about. I even called McDonald's headquarters to find out why the south didn't have shamrock shakes. They didn't give me a very satisfactory answer.

Imagine my surprise (and delight), when 2 weeks ago Mr.Surly calls me and tells me that he is enjoying a shamrock shake. I was so jealous. But then, a few days later, I was able to order one of my own while out on my weekly Target trip. It was a delicious as I remembered them. So, thank you McDonald's, for finally bringing the Shamrock shake to the South! *kisses* (Even though it ripped up my stomach later, it was worth it).

Having recently tasted an authentic shamrock shake, I went about recreating it myself. Looking around at other recipes, I noticed they use peppermint extract. But a Shamrock shake is mint flavored, not peppermint flavored. Don't be fooled by imitators.



(the Best) Shamrock Shake
Printer-friendly recipe
makes 1 shake

1 c milk, cream, half-n-half, or any combo of (I used 2/3 c skim milk and 1/3 c cream)
4 scoops, ~1 c, vanilla bean ice cream
1/2 tsp mint extract
1/2 tsp vanilla
green food coloring

Combine all ingredients in glass. Use immersion blender to mix to desired consistency. Or mix it all in a blender. Adjust flavors or ice cream, if needed. I topped mine with some freshly whipped cream.


Happy St.Paddy's Day, everyone!

shamrockshake4a

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

AllThingsYummy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I've never had a shamrock shake but I keep reading how delicious it is. Now I need to try one.

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i cant honestly say i have never had one... my northern friends always talk about them but i have never seen one!

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.