Thursday, August 9, 2012

Fresh Strawberry Cake


Pin It Now!

strawberry1

I’m still slowing getting back into the swing of things. It took me 2 days to recover from the drive up north for my uncle’s memorial. Then, we get back and I discover I’m out of one of my medications. I spent that day going through horrible withdrawal; shaking, headaches, rocking back and forth. Not fun. The pharmacy, God bless them, expedited my refill when I explained the situation.

Needless to say, during all this food was the last thing on my mind. But now I’m finally forcing myself to get some of my posts together.

I made this strawberry cake awhile ago, I just never got around to posting about it. I strayed a bit from the original recipe and I made the cake a few times before I got it right.

The crumb and texture is divine. You could use just about any fruit. I might try it with some peaches from the farmer's market.

Fresh whipped cream tends to get runny if it sits too long. I found by using powdered sugar and a bit of cornstarch I could get a whipped cream that would last the 2 days this cake lasted in our fridge.



Strawberry Cake
Printer-friendly version
Serves 2

For the cake:
2 eggs
112 g sugar (½ c + 1 Tbl)
50 ml milk (scant 2 c)
105 g flour (~ ¾ c)
1 tsp baking powder
2 Tbl butter, melted
honey for drizzling

Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare 2 4.5” springform pans with cooking spray; set aside.

Mix sugar, eggs, til pale and fluffy.

Mix together milk, butter, and vanilla, then add to eggs, mix til smooth.

Sift flour and baking soda together; fold into cake batter. Pour into prepared springform pans. Drizzle with honey.

Bake til done; inserted pick comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes in pans, then using sharp knife, run around the sides of pan and remove cakes to wire rack to cool completely.

While cake is baking, make the middle layer and frosting.

For the filling:
~1 pint strawberries, hulled and cut
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Pinch sugar
Pinch cornstarch

Add all ingredients to bowl. Mash strawberries with potato masher until crushed. If too runny, add more cornstarch.

Whipped cream frosting:.
1 c heavy cream
¾ tsp powdered sugar (regular will work,too, but the frosting will be more runny)
½ tsp vanilla
½ tsp cornstarch

Mix all til light and fluffy.

Assemble the cake:
Once the cakes are cool, pour filling on top of bottom layer, add top cake. Frost with whipped cream. Keep refrigerated.




Source: Tasty Kitchen

Pin It Now!

3 comments:

Brigitt said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Yay! Glad you are back! This looks delicious. Anything with fresh strawberries is a winner in my book!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This sounds wonderful! I love baking with fresh strawberries!

ally said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

oh wow, fantastic job! thanks for sharing your lovely recipes!!
xo
http://allykayler.blogspot.ca/

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.