Thursday, September 13, 2012

2 Minute Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake


Pin It Now!

veganmugcake


I have seen many recipes for the single serve 2 or 5 minute mug cake. I admit I was a bit leery of them; I didn’t think they could taste very good. Oh, how wrong I was.

A month or so ago I was craving some kind of chocolate dessert. One problem, I was out of eggs, a key ingredient. I look at numerous websites, looking at recipes, trying to find a non-egg version. No luck. No problem, I thought, I’ll just make up my own, which is what I proceeded to do. The first draft was pretty dry, but edible. So I spent a lot of time tweaking and changing ratios and ingredients, until I finally achieved what I was looking for, a dark, moist, chocolaty cake.

I have made it will all the add-ins I listed. Sometimes alone, others times I’d combine them.

Another thing I did was experiment with oats for flour, just to try to make it a bit more “healthy.”

The best thing about this recipe is that in under 5 minutes of a chocolate craving, you'll be digging into a delicious chocolaty delight.



2 Minute Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake
Printer-friendly version

1 Tbl coconut oil, melted
3 Tbl water
1 Tbl ground flaxseed
3 Tbl coconut milk*
2 Tbl canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
4 Tbl flour (or 2 Tbl flour and 2 Tbl instant oats)
3 Tbl cocoa powder
2 Tbl sugar
¼ tsp baking powder

Optinal add-ins:
¼ c walnut
1 spoonful natural peanut butter (add a splash of coconut milk)
¼ c coconut flakes
2 tsp espresso powder
2 chocolate covered caramels
¼ c peanut butter chips
Non-dairy whipped topping


Add wet ingredients to large mug (coconut oil through vanilla) and whisk to combine.

Next, whisk in dry ingredients (flour through baking powder). Stir in any add-ins.

Microwave 2 minutes.

Top with non-dairy topping if desired. Then dig in.



*I use coconut milk from a carton. You can find it on the shelf with almond, soy, and hemp milk.

Pin It Now!

4 comments:

Brigitt said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love the new header and the social buttons at the bottom of your post! This cake looks amazing--like it took much longer than five minutes! I'll have to give this a try one night when I'm rushing around. Thanks!

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

thanks, i am in the midst of redesigning my blog. I'm doing it myself, so it takes a lot longer.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Why 2 different types of oil?

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Anonymous
for texture. using all coconut oil was a bit dry. the canola oil helps keep cake moist.

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.