Thursday, September 20, 2012

Veggie Pot Pies


Pin It Now!

potpie3

My fatigue has been really bad lately. I have been running around to the hospital for appointments and tests, picking up prescriptions, and trying to keep Mr.Surly fed. Recently, I have been brainstorming easy, heathfull, quick dinners.  This was just one of my ideas.

If I didn't feel so exhausted and worn out every minute of the day, I would have made my own pie crust. But I cheated and used a frozen pie crust, along with frozen veggies. These are so good and ridiculously quick to make. Dinner in 20-30 minutes; gotta love that.

 These are pretty filling. I only can only eat 1 10 oz ramekin, Mr.Surly can polish off two.
The possibility of veggies and spices are infinite. Use whatever you like.




Veggie Pot Pies
Printer-friendly recipe
Serves 2-4

2 Tbl butter
2 Tbl flour (may need additional)
 2 c veggie broth (or chicken)
1 tsp thyme
½ tsp sage
Pinch cayenne pepper (opt)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 10 oz bag frozen veggie medley
1 pie crust, thawed (I used a frozen one, but you could make your own)

Preheat oven to 375 F

Put frozen veggies in colander in sink to thaw a bit (I run some warm water over them to break up any frozen clumps).

In a small pot over med-low heat, melt butter and flour to make a roux. Once it’s smells toasty and kind of nutty, pour in broth, whisking continuously to prevent lumps. Add seasonings and simmer to thicken to desired consistency (I had to add another half Tbl flour).

Meanwhile, roll out the pie dough and, using an upside-down ramekin, cut out a circle for your pot pie cover.

Stir veggies into broth then portion into ramekins.

potpie2

Cover with pre-cut crusts. Pinch around sides to seal. Then, using a sharp, thin knife, cut vents in top.

crust2

Put on baking sheet and bake in oven until crust is baked and golden brown, and filling is bubbly. Cool on wire rack about 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy.


potpie1c

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

Brigitt said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Looks delicious. Pot pie is the ultimate comfort food! Hope you feel better soon! =)

Coffee and Crumpets said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Do I know about fatigue! I also know how hard it is to get going when you feel awful and tired and it takes everything you have to get dinner on the table.

The pot pies look exceptional. I love pot pies but rarely make them because I too am too tired to roll out pastry dough. I usually end up making the biscuit topping ones where you drop spoonfuls.

I hope you are feeling better.

Nazneen

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.