Friday, December 21, 2012

The All-Day Beret


Pin It Now!

everyday beret
I wasn't going to do a knitting post, since technically, this is a food blog, but I get so many compliments on this hat I thought I'd share it with fellow knitters. If you don't know how to knit, this is a really easy pattern; not hard to teach yourself to make.

I wanted a casual hat to wear since it's chilly in the morning and warm during the day. I used cotton yarn because wool would be too hot down here in the south. I loved the look of this beret when I saw the pattern online. It's from Stitch Nation by Debbie Stoller.

beret side view
Everywhere I go I get compliments on this hat. Everyone wants to know where I got it. They are amazed when I tell them I made it. I consider myself an average knitter and it took me a day and a half to knit this. I thought I'd share the pattern with others so they can get compliments, too.

back of beret
When I knitted the pattern as written it swallowed up my head; I have an extremely small head. It was way too big for me so I experimented by making a few adjustments to the pattern. After much trial and error, I succeeded. I only cast on 92 stitches, instead of 104. And when it came to knit the diagonal sections I made them 2 inches, not 4 inches.

I knitted my hat in the round, not on circular needles. I started the ribbed part with size 5 double pointed needles, then began the diagonal stitch with size 8 double pointed needles.

I'm extremely happy with the result.

front of beret
Since I used 100% cotton yarn, it has stretched out a bit, but I haven't washed it yet and a quick dunk in the sink should shrink it back down.

I can't believe such a simple, easy hat garners me so many compliments (from men and women of all ages) so I just had to pass it along and share the pattern.

Click here for the pdf, knit it up, wear it out and revel in the compliments you will be sure to receive.

Any questions, ask in the comments.

Pin It Now!

4 comments:

Brigitt said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You have such beautiful hair!! And that hat is gorgeous! I think I may make this over the weekend--I loveee hats!

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Brigitt you would look so cute in a hat like this! it goes so fast, if i'm constantly knitting i can finish in one day.

thanks for the hair compliment. I hate my hair; it is thin and lifeless. this hat would look stunning on long, dark, luxourious-looking hair like yours.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I just learned to knit and must confess...
it's a wintry seasonal thing for me, but
I love it, especially on long flights.

the beret is terrific and the color pops.
thnx for sharing the pattern. have a
merry xmas!!

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@deb sassygirl This beret is so easy! if you have any questions about it let me know. I made these for almost a lot of friends/family bc everyone loves them

Happy Holidays!

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.