Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Starbucks Pumpkin Scones


Pin It Now!

pumpkin scones

Out of all the tasty treats Starbucks offers my favorites are the Pumpkin and mini vanilla scones. Good Lord, they are so freaking good. So you can imagine my excitement when I saw this pin on Pinterest for the recipe. The first time I made them they were cakey and soft. They tasted good but weren't the texture a scone should be. So I went about changing and adapting the recipe until I finally got it right. The winning adaption is this recipe. I used coconut milk because I like it, but I'm sure any milk would work. Also, I have quit cooking with butter (due to the fact it's fat content hurts my stomach) and now use coconut oil, which is easier on me. If you are a butter person then feel free to substitute butter for the coconut oil.

I used pumpkin puree that I had frozen from this past fall. When the sugar pumpkins went on sale I bought a few of them, roasted and pureed them, then froze them in 1/2 c bags. I thawed the bag in the fridge overnight and used it in the recipe.

I got impatient waiting for the sugar glaze to firm up which is why my spice glaze is hard to see. I just wanted to get one of these guys in my tummy asap.

These are so good; it's hard not to eat the whole batch in one day. If you have any left, store in airtight container



Starbucks Pumpkin Scones
printer-friendly recipe
1 ½ c flour
½ c instant oats
¼ c sugar
¼ c brown sugar
1 Tbl baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 Tbl oat bran (opt)
1 Tbl ground flax seed meal (opt)
¼ c + 2 Tbl coconut oil
1/2 c pumpkin (I used real pumpkin puree)
3 Tbl coconut milk (any milk)
1 large egg
Sugar Glaze (recipe below)
Spice Glaze (recipe below)

Make the Scones
Preheat oven to 375 F.

Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

Combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, spices, oat bran and flax seed) in a large mixing bowl.

With pastry cutter add coconut oil into the dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly with small crumbs. Set aside.

In a separate mixing bowl, whisk pumpkin, coconut milk, and egg.

Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Form the dough into a ball.

Pat out dough onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a 1” thick rectangle. Mine measured about 7x11”

Using a knife or pizza cutter (which works great), cut the dough in half width-wise (from the 7” sides). Next cut into thirds length-wise (from 11”). Cut each rectangle in half diagonally. This will produce 12 triangles or scones.

Bake until scones turn light brown on top about 20-22 minutes.

Place a wire rack over waxed paper and put scones on to cool completely.

Make the Sugar Glaze
1 c powdered sugar
2 Tbl coconut milk (or any milk)
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together with pastry brush til smooth, adding milk and/or powdered sugar as needed to get a thick consistency. Brush glaze over the top of each scone. Allow to set and firm up.

Make the Spiced Glaze
1 c powdered sugar
2 Tbl coconut milk (or any milk)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
pinch ginger
pinch ground cloves

Combine all in ziplock sandwich bag by squeezing and milk as needed for consistency. Cut off corner and drizzle over each scone. This can also be mixed together in a bowl and you could use a fork to do the drizzle.




Source: adapted from East 9th Street via Pinterest

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.