Thursday, March 25, 2010

Chicken Millet Skillet


Pin It Now!

Photobucket

I had never heard of millet until I had to go gluten free awhile ago. Luckily my celiac test came back negative, but my GI doctor still had me go gluten free for 6 weeks to determine if I was gluten intolerant (turns out I’m not). I learned about a lot of alternative grains/pastas/flours while eating gluten free, millet being one of them. Millet is bland and I wasn’t even sure how to serve it to make it palatable. Desperate to use up some of my millet, I found this recipe on Whole Foods’ website. I made modifications to suit our tastes. I was surprised at how good this was. I really didn’t have any expectations for this, I just wanted to get rid of some millet, but wow, this was so good. Mr.Surly loved it and he requests it often, which I don’t mind because it’s so easy and quick to make.

You could probably use quinoa if you don’t have millet. If you don’t have wine, substitute with chicken broth and, if desired, stir in a tbsp or two of white wine vinegar with the swiss chard. Kale could also be used instead of swiss chard. Next time I make this, I think I'll add some pinenuts or almonds as garnish before serving.



Chicken Millet Skillet
Printer-friendly version
serves 2-3

2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper to taste
1 large shallot, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
½ cup uncooked millet
1 c chicken broth
½ c white wine
thyme , to taste
rosemary, to taste
Marjoram, to taste
Sage, to taste
1/3 c golden raisins
1 bunch Swiss chard, shredded (without stems)

Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in deep skillet (or pot) over medium-high heat. Season chicken, to taste, with salt and pepper. Cook, flipping once, until deep golden brown all over, about 10 minutes total. Transfer chicken to a large plate.

Next, add onions and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Stir in millet, broth, wine, and spices. Nestle chicken into skillet, submerging it in the millet and liquid; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until chicken is almost cooked through, about 25 minutes. Uncover skillet and gently stir in chard and raisins. Cover skillet and cook until millet and chard are tender and chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes more.

Spoon chicken, millet, and vegetables onto plates and serve.

Source: adapted from Whole Foods

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.