Monday, March 29, 2010

Slowcooker BBQ Pulled Chicken


Pin It Now!

Photobucket

I’m not a fan of pulled pork, because I’m not really that into pork, but whenever I smell pulled pork it makes my mouth water. I just can't bring myself to eat it because I don't really like pork; I only eat it once a year. So when I saw this chicken version awhile ago I immediately made a mental note to make it in the future. This weekend it was rainy and chilly, so I decided now was the time. MrSurly ended up eating 4 of these in one sitting, they were so good. The sauce is spicy, which we like, and the heat factor can be adjusted by using less/more chipotles and cayenne. I added some brown sugar to give it a spicy sweetness, which I love. I ate one of these sandwiches cold the next day and I think I liked the cold leftover version even more than heated. I wish I would’ve had some potato chips to serve along with the sandwiches. Instead I had to settle for baked potato wedges, which the only option available to me at the time. What a great alternative to BBQ pork. I will have to remember these for fall football game days.



Slowcooker BBQ Pulled Chicken
Printer-friendly version
Serves 6-8

1 (14 oz.) can tomato sauce
3-4 chipotles in adobo, finely minced
2 tsp adobo sauce
¼ cup cider vinegar
3 Tbsp agave
1 Tbsp light brown sugar
2 Tbsp smoked paprika
3 Tbsp tomato paste
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp dry ground mustard
1 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp ancho chili powder
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 onion, thinly sliced in half circles
4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed

Whisk together the first 9 ingredients (tomato sauce through chili powder). Spray your slowcooker lightly with oil and then place the chicken inside. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Scatter the onions and garlic evenly over the top, and then pour the barbecue sauce over the top. Cook on low or med low until chicken is cooked (mine went about 1 ½ hours)

Once chicken is thoroughly cooked, remove from slowcooker and allow it to rest on a cutting board. Using two forks, shred the chicken then return it to the slowcooker. Continue to cook covered on low until ready to serve.


Source: slightly adapted from elly says opa

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.