Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Dark Chocolate Tartelettes with Gingersnap Crust


Pin It Now!

Photobucket

This week it was time to use up the extra ginger crinkles I had sitting around. I was really excited to make this chocolate tart. The original recipe makes one large tart, but I decided to halve the recipe and make individual tartelettes. With the hint of cinnamon, these tarts reminded me of the cappuccino brownies I made awhile ago. The combination of the gingersnap crust and the dark chocolate is fantastic. Next time (I will be making this again, for sure) I plan on adding a tsp or two of espresso powder because I just love the combination of chocolate and coffee. I had some strawberries in the fridge (since they are finally in season) which I used to garnish the tarts. You can’t go wrong with strawberries, dark chocolate, and whipped cream.



Dark Chocolate Tartelettes with Gingersnap Crust
Printer-friendly version
Makes 4 tartelettes

For the crust:
6 oz gingersnap cookies (homemade or store bought), coarsely broken
4 Tbsp butter, melted

For the filling:
6 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
½ c heavy whipping cream
1 large egg
2 Tbsp sugar
1½ tsp flour
Pinch of sea salt
pinch cinnamon
Whipped cream for serving, if desired

Preheat oven to 325 F. In a food processor, pulse gingersnaps until finely ground. Add melted butter and pulse a few times until moistened. Press crumb mixture firmly onto bottom and sides of four tartelette pans (I think mine are 4 inch) with removable bottoms. Place on rimmed baking sheet.

Lightly whisk together egg, sugar, flour, salt and cinnamon in small bowl, and set aside.

Microwave chocolate and heavy cream in 30 sec intervals, stirring in between, until the chocolate is melted. (Or you could add chocolate and cream to a saucepan, whisking over low heat until chocolate is melted and smooth). Gradually, pour about half the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture, whisking to temper the egg. Add rest of cream and chocolate into the egg mixture, stirring until smooth and blended. Pour chocolate filling into crusts. I wound up with extra filling, which I just poured into a greased ramekin and baked along with the tartelettes. It made a delightful, decadent pudding cup.

Bake at 325 F until filling puffs slightly at edges and center is softly set, about 20 minutes. Transfer to rack. Cool tart in pan 20 minutes. Gently remove tart from pan and cool tart completely on wire rack.

If desired, garnish with whipped cream before serving. Store any leftovers in refrigerator, allowing tartelettes to come to room temperature before serving.


Source: adapted from smitten kitchen

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.