Monday, August 30, 2010

Fresh Peach Crisp


Pin It Now!

Photobucket

I’m not a huge fan of peaches unless they are at their peak seasonally, which is now. Over the weekend the grocery store had locally grown peaches for only 49 cents a pound! I probably bought too many of them. I liked the peach blueberry crumbles I made awhile ago, but wanted to try to make a peach crisp. I found a Cook’s Illustrated recipe that sounded good. These were so delicious, I’m going to make them again this week. I do wish the filling was a bit juicier; maybe mine wasn’t because the original recipe calls for frozen peaches,which when thawed would produce more liquid. But why use frozen peaches when fresh ones are in season? I bet if I omitted the cornstarch I would get more of a bubbly filling using fresh peaches.



Fresh Peach Crisp
Printer-friendly version

For the filling:
1 lb (2-3) peaches, peeled (if you want) and sliced
1 Tbl sugar
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
¼ tsp cornstarch
Pinch salt

For the topping:
1/3 c almonds or walnuts, finely chopped
1/3 c rolled oats
¼ c flour
1 Tbl granulated sugar
2 Tbl light brown sugar
¼ tsp cinnamon
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
Pinch salt
3 Tbl butter, melted and cooled

Preheat oven to 400F. Combine all the filling ingredients in a small bowl, stir gently to combine. Spoon into ramekins (I used two 12 oz ramekins and two 4 oz ramekins).

Mix together all the topping ingredients, except the butter, in a small bowl. Drizzle butter over and stir til all the mixture is moistened. Sprinkle topping evenly over ramekins.

Place ramekins on rimmed baking sheet, bake until topping is brown and filling is bubbly, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack at least 15 min before serving.


Source: slightly adapted from America’s Test Kitchen Cooking for Two 2010

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

this looks delicious! i wish I had used the last of my peaches on this recipe! I did peach cupcakes and peach cobbler instead- I wonder if you added a small amount of peach puree if they would be juicier?!

Anyway, love your blog!

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

mmmm, peach cobbler sounds good. maybe i'll make some this week. i wish i had thought to splash some orange juice in my peach crisp, it may have helped juice it up a bit. it still tasted yummy.

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.