Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Creole Chicken with Rice


Pin It Now!

Photobucket

Don’t let the unappetizing photo scare you off from this dish. It doesn’t look like much, but the taste is out-of-this-world phenomenal.

Back before I got sick, I read the book Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman. I have always tried to eat as healthfully as possible and heard his book was informative. Basically, he maps out a caloric restriction diet/lifestyle. He recommends eating lots of fresh, raw veggies and eating meat sparingly, thinking of it as a condiment. I used the book as mainly a diet guideline and for some of the recipes--caloric restriction is a bit too extreme for me, I'm not really into counting calories. Some of the recipes are really good so I went online to Dr. Furhman's blog to find more. I saw this one and decided to try it. I’m so glad I did because this has become one of our top 5 favorite recipes. A word of warning, if you don’t like hot and spicy food this is not the meal for you. It definitely cleans out the sinuses.

I made this a lot when I had to eliminate gluten from my diet. I use Trader Joe’s brand chili sauce because it is gluten free and I love it. I’m not sure if all chili sauce is gluten free so if you have celiac disease or a gluten intolerance be sure to check the ingredients of the sauce you use.


Photobucket


Creole Chicken with Spinach and Rice
Printer-friendly version
serves 3-4

for the seasoned rice:
1 cup brown rice, uncooked
2 c water
1 tsp chili powder

for the creole chicken:
grapeseed oil (or olive oil)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast
~2 c chopped organic celery
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
10 oz bag fresh spinach
1 cup chili sauce (low salt) (I use a whole 5 oz bottle of Trader Joe's Chili Pepper Sauce)
1 small chopped onion
1 large green pepper, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbl chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp dried
1 Tbl chopped fresh parsley or 1 tsp dried
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

Cook brown rice according to package directions, adding chili powder to cooking water.

Add a bit of oil to lightly coat the bottom of a dutch oven or pot. Cook chicken on medium high, browning each side until cooked through. Remove chicken to a cutting board to rest.**

Add onion, celery, garlic, green pepper and sauté a few minutes. Meanwhile, cut the chicken into bite-sized chunks. Pour in the can of diced tomatoes to deglaze the bottom of the pot, scraping up any brown bits. Add chicken, chili sauce, and spices; bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Simmer covered for 10 minutes. Stir in spinach, cover until wilted. Stir, adjust seasonings to taste, if necessary. Serve over seasoned brown rice.


**Note: I cook my chicken breasts whole because I hate raw meat and prefer to cut the chicken once it’s been cooked so I don’t get too grossed out. If you can cut your chicken into chunks before cooking, by all means do so. I would if I didn’t have such issues with handling raw meat.




Source: adapted from Dr. Joel Fuhrman via Disease Proof

Pin It Now!

6 comments:

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

this looks like the perfect dish for this in between weather... It is starting to get cooler here!

What sort of camera do you use?

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i just use an ordinary point and shoot camera (canon sd600), nothing fancy. i use picnik to edit my photos. i have photoshop, but it is waaay over my head. picnik is easy to use and best of all it's free! i wish i would have known that before i bought photoshop, i could've saved myself some $$.

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

hmm... my photos dont do these recipes much justice. Hopefully I figure it out along the way~!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Heh heh--I like your blog, and the title makes me laugh. My husband doesn't get 'surly' without food, but he spaces out and starts getting desperate. Maybe it's a guy thing.

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks for the tips! I am not sure where the comment went, but I got it in an email- Going to try out Picnik ASAP!

Thanks!

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

jenna~ guys are so funny like that. my boyfriend literally forages around the kitchen (sometimes grunting) for food if he didn't get enough dinner. it's funny. i started saying he was like a surly bear rummaging through the kitchen and that became my (affectionate) nickname for him.

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.