Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Lemon Glazed Brown Sugar Shortbread


Pin It Now!

Photobucket


I have to admit, this low oxalate diet is one of the hardest elimination diets I have ever done. Mostly because all my favorite foods are on the “foods to avoid” list. But, this forces me to become more creative in planning out my meals. I’m thinking of ingredient combinations I never would have considered otherwise. I wanted to tap into my creative side via this blog, and now I’m really being forced into it.

One thing I’m really struggling with is dessert. Ever since losing too much weight, my doctor keeps encouraging me to eat sugary, fatty desserts. And now I’ve developed a sweet tooth. I can’t help it; you try eating cakes and browines, cookies and ice cream everyday for a year, then all of a sudden being cut off. My biggest challenge right now is finding low oxalate desserts. Is there anything that tastes like chocolate, but isn’t chocolate nor cocoa, and would be low oxalate? If someone knows of something please let me know. It’s only been about a week and I’m craving and missing my good friend chocolate terribly.

Since I haven’t been feeling well lately, I wanted to make an easy dessert. I decided to make a simple shortbread and add a lemon glaze to sweeten it. I made a small batch because this was an experiment, and now I wish I had made more. I’ve already eaten almost half the batch I made. Luckily, these are so easy to make I can make a bigger batch tomorrow. The lemon glaze adds that perfect extra 'something'.

I’d like to experiment more with this by adding different spices and glazes. I’d like to try some kind of orange blossom water glaze. This is a great basic, recipe to play around with.



Lemon Glazed Brown Sugar Shortbread
Printer-friendly version
makes about 12-14 bite sized cookies

for the shortbread:
4 Tbl butter, softened
2 Tbl brown sugar
½ c flour

for the lemon glaze:
2 Tbl powdered sugar
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ tsp vanilla

Make the shortbread:
Preheat oven to 300F

In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Gradually add the flour, mixing well. On a lightly floured surface, knead and squeeze together the dough. Pat it into a rectangle, I think mine was about ½“ thick. Using a pizza cutter, or knife, cut into desired size pieces.

Place pieces on a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet and prick with a fork. Bake about 15 minutes, or til bottom and edges are browned. Place baking sheet on wire rack.

Make the glaze:
In small bowl (I used a ramekin) add glaze ingredients and whisk until smooth. Using a pastry brush, brush glaze on still warm shortbread (or you could drizzle the glaze over the shortbread).

Allow shortbread to cool completely before storing in airtight container.




Pin It Now!

9 comments:

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These.look.so.delicious!!!! Seriously I love shortbread of all kinds and these sound perfect. I hope you start feeling better soon :-/

smbp said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I definitely feel for you- I have been through a similiar health experience; once my weight was back up it was hard to cut out all the sweets to just once in a while.
Have you tried Carob Chips as an alternative to Chocolate Chips - I sometimes use these in place of chocolate chips when I bake granola bars: http://www.ehow.com/about_5470849_carob-chips.html
I hope you start to feel better soon- I really enjoy reading your blog!

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

thanks for the carob suggestion--i thought about carob, but on health care sites it says it's high oxalate. on personal blogs some say it's low oxalate. i think i'll ask my doctor to be sure before i eat it

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

mmm these look delicious! lemon is one of my fav flavors this time of year!

hope you are feeling better!

Corrine said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I hope you're feeling better soon!

And those look delicious!

GirlyGirlCooks said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love these! They look delicious! You are a very strong woman for giving up all of those wonderful foods.

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

no haley, i am not strong, just desperate to get better. usually i have absolutely no will power when it comes to food, esp chocolate. but i'm tired of being sick and if giving up chocolate will help, i must give it a try

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I linked your blog (You are supposed to Link up a post containing the recipes you've found and bookmarked this week.) to http://joyinmykitchen.blogspot.com/

I definitely book marked these!

Speckle of Dirt said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

The low-oxalate diet is interesting. I have battled kidney stones in the past (and still have a dozen or so that haven't moved yet!). But oxalates were thought to contribute to this ailment. So I appreciate your research and kitchen experiments! I'm visiting via Tastes Better with Friends!

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.