Monday, March 21, 2011

Apple Mustard Chicken with Dates


Pin It Now!

Photobucket

I haven’t been in the kitchen much recently. Instead, I’ve been studying up on low oxalate foods and trying to come up with ideas of low oxalate dishes to make. One night I decided to throw together some “good” oxalate foods I like for dinner. I just made it up as I went along. I can’t find dates on any "good", "bad" or "limit" list, so I figured they’d be fine. Golden raisins are on the good list, but regular dark raisins aren’t on any list, so I don’t know if it’s a safe oxalate substitution. Doesn’t matter for me, since I prefer golden raisins.

Also I didn’t salt and pepper my chicken since I’m not supposed to have salt nor black pepper. I used wild rice because that is a “good” food for me; brown rice is on my “limit” list.

I think sliced almonds would be a great addition to this dish at the end. Unfortunately for me I cannot have nuts. But if I could I totally would have garnish with some sliced, toasted almonds.



Apple Mustard Chicken with Dates
Printer-friendly recipe
serves 2

2 chicken breasts
1 shallot, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp grainy mustard
1 c apple juice
2 dates, chopped
1 Tbl golden raisins

Add about a Tbl or two of oil (I used grapeseed) to a medium skillet. Brown chicken on both sides. Add the shallot and garlic and sauté 2-3 minutes, til soft.

Combine mustards and spread evenly over each chicken breast. Pour apple juice in skillet and reduce by about half. Then cover and cook until chicken is cooked through.

Once chicken is cooked, uncover and allow liquid to reduce and thicken. Remove from heat and stir in dates and raisins. Serve with rice (I used wild), couscous, quinoa, etc.



Pin It Now!

3 comments:

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your diet sounds like a very difficult one, I applaud you for being so optimistic and incredibly creative about your meals. This dish looks wonderful! I really love wild rice and that sauce sounds like a perfect compliment to the chicken.

claire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

look at you!

So impressed with your creativity! I am sure I would be given a list and have NO CLUE where to start- Looks amazing!

Derek_Teixeira said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Dates are VERY high in oxalate. 24mg per date!

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.