Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Black Bean Soup with Cumin Crema


Pin It Now!

blackbeansoup

I love black beans. So healthy, so tasty, so economical, what’s not to love? I’m always on the lookout for new ways to incorporate them into my diet. I like things spicy, if spice isn’t your thing just decrease the amount of chipotle pepper and adobo sauce. I wouldn’t eliminate them all together because they provide a nice smoky flavor. I normally add red wine and lime, but I didn’t have them on hand this time, and I didn’t feel like running out to the store. It still tasted great, you really couldn’t tell that they were missing. Serve with tortilla chips or some bread (pita or naan). And of course, sour cream can be used instead of greek yogurt. This could be used as a healthy black bean dip. I’d just add some more tomato paste to thicken it up, or simmer uncovered to reduce the liquid. To make it vegan either omit the yogurt or use a dairy-free substitute. Yummy.



Black Bean Soup with Cumin Crema
Printer-friendly version
Serves 4

olive oil
1 onion chopped
~3 oz (~½ c) baby carrots
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 c red wine
2 c vegetable stock (chicken stock can be used)
2(15.5 oz.) cans black beans, partially drained
2 chipotle chiles in adobo
1-2 Tblsp adobo sauce
2 Tblsp tomato paste
Juice from ½ lime
Salt and pepper to taste
Cilantro for garnish

Add Tblsp or so of olive oil to a large pot or dutch oven, and sauté onion, garlic, and carrots (I don’t cut my carrots, I just add them whole) until onion is translucent, 3-5 minutes. Add wine, bring to boil, and reduce by half.*

Reduce heat to medium and add the stock, black beans, chiles, adobo, and tomato paste. Simmer, covered, until the carrots are soft, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile make the cumin crema (recipe below).

Remove from heat and using an immersion blender or blender, puree soup til smooth. Stir in lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with cumin crema and cilantro.

*Since I didn’t have wine, I just added a couple shakes of red wine vinegar (which may not even be necessary) and just added the rest of the ingredients and simmered.

Cumin Crema
1 c greek yogurt
1 Tblsp ground cumin
fresh lime juice to taste

Combine all ingredients in small bowl.



Source: adapted from Bobby Flay via RecipeZaar


Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.