Monday, January 30, 2012

Caramelized Apple Peanut Butter Biscotti


Pin It Now!

apPBbisct5


I have recently discovered that peanut butter brings on severe GI attacks. I know I'm not even supposed to be eating peanut butter since it's on my low oxalate diet "bad" list but I can't help it. My afternoon snack is an apple with peanut butter and cinnamon. Now I can only eat the apple :( It's frustrating because I experimented by eating a handful of peanuts--nothing; no attack. It's bizarre, and a mystery, what will set off my GI attacks.

Needless to say, I have been craving the apple/peanut butter combo. It took a few days for me to decide to try to make some kind of apple peanut butter biscotti.

It took a few attempts, but I finally tweaked the recipe just right.


I started with caramelizing apples in butter, brown sugar and spices....

caramalize apples

Then I stirred in the rest of the ingredients and formed my loaf:

appleloaf


Baked, and out came deliciousness. I polished these off in record time.


Caramelized Apple Peanut Butter Biscotti
Printer-friendly recipe
Makes one small loaf

2 medium (~7 oz) apples, diced (I used gala)
¼ c brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon*
½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg*
Generous pinch cloves*
Generous pinch allspice*
Generous pinch (~1/4) ginger*
Generous pinch (~1/4)cardamom*
1 ¼ c flour
2/3 c quick oats
1 Tbl ground flaxseed meal (opt)
½ tsp baking powder
generous pinch salt
¼ c granulated sugar
4 Tbl butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
¼ c peanut butter chips, plus more for drizzling
1.5 oz (generous ¼ c) chopped walnuts

*NOTE: on the spices these are just estimates. I didn’t measure them out, I just sprinkled them over the apples and sugar. Feel free to add more ginger and nutmeg, I’m not a fan of these spices, so I used less of them.

Combine apples, brown sugar and spices in bowl; give it a quick stir to combine.

Over med-low heat sauté the apples, until tender and caramelized about 3- 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.

In a bowl, stir together flour, oats, flaxseed meal, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.

In a mixing bowl, add sugar, melted butter, and vanilla in a bowl. Whisk in the eggs.

Add the apples and stir. Stir in the dry ingredients, along with the chips and nuts, and with a rubber spatula (or wooden spoon), stirring until just combined. Cover dough and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes minimum.

When ready to bake, remove dough from fridge and preheat oven to 350F.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. With wet hands, take the dough and form it into a rectangular loaf. Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden brown. Remove.

Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Using a serrated knife, cut loaf into desired portion size. Bake the pieces for about 6 minutes on each side, until golden and toasted.

Drizzle melted peanut butter chips over pieces. ** Allow to cool completely, before storing in an airtight container.

**NOTE: I put a handful of peanut butter chips with a bit of vegetable shortening into a snack size Ziploc bag. Leaving bag open I microwaved, on defrost, in 30 second intervals until melted. Then seal up the bag, squeeze the chips to one corner, snip off a tiny bit of the corner and drizzle over biscotti.

Or you could just melt the chips and drizzle using a spoon or fork.

Pin It Now!

3 comments:

Brigitt said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Looks delicious, especially once it's cut. So gourmet!

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I am so sorry to hear PB makes you sick...I don't know what I would do :-/

Have you tried making your own PB using ONLY peanuts...I do that often with a little salt added and I like it better than store bought PB now.

This biscotti looks fantastic. I love apple baked goods, add peanut butter=masterpiece!

Katie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

My goodness....I love peanut butter. That stinks that it doesn't make you feel very good!

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.