Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Oatmeal Crusted Chicken


Pin It Now!

Oatmeal Crusted Chicken


I am constantly thinking of new ways to prepare chicken. Since raw meat makes me squeamish, I like coatings on chicken when preparing to hide the sight of the raw meat.

I like the idea of an oatmeal coating. I am trying to eat low gluten to help my stomach bloat and I bought rolled oats from Trader Joe’s that claim to be gluten free. Oats are naturally gluten free, but oats are often processed near wheat, and the tiniest bit of wheat will contaminate the oats and be a disaster for anyone with celiac disease.

These oats from TJs claim to be processed in a wheat-free environment. Even if there was a bit of wheat, it wouldn’t affect me since I do not have celiac disease. But for those of you with celiac or a gluten intolerance, these oats might be for you. I know that Bob’s Red Mill also makes gluten free oats.

Anyway, back to the chicken. Regular readers know how much I like the sweet and spicy combo. The cayenne and honey give this chicken that sweet and spiciness that I love. I wanted to eat my entire chicken breast, but my bloated stomach and gastroparesis prevented me. The topping is so good; I wanted to eat it by the spoonful.



Oatmeal Crusted Chicken
Printer-friendly recipe

2 chicken breasts
1 Tbl coconut oil, melted (any oil; grapeseed oil, olive oil, flaxseed oil, etc)
1 Tbl canola oil (again any oil)
Pinch garlic powder
¼ tsp cardamom
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp ancho chile powder
½ tsp turmeric
¾ tsp cumin
1 c quick cook oats (rolled oats or combo of both)
Drizzle honey (about 1 Tbl per breast)
Canola spray (or oil oil)
Basil for garnish, opt

Preheat oven to 375 F

Add all ingredients, except oats, to a shallow baking dish. Mix to combine (I used a fork), then stir in oats until coated.

Add in chicken breasts, and roll in oat mixture, patting to coat each breast. (you can do this with your hands, but since I can’t touch raw meat, I used the back of a spoon. Drizzle honey over each breast, spray with a bit of canola oil.

Bake in oven for about 30 minutes or until each breast is done, flipping halfway through.

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This looks amazing! You mentioned buying rolled oats, but the recipe calls for instant. Do you think rolled would work? It's all I have right now!

sk said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

view-from-here--
rolled oats could absolutely be substituted. when i was playing around with this recipe i used both rolled oats, instant oat, and a combo of both. rolled oats just require more canola spray to brown up.

Post a Comment

your comments make my day :)

 

Copyright© 2010-2020 by surlykitchen. All rights reserved.